No announcement yet.

Brennus as a warmonger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OCC conquest is the only way I've beaten Immortal. (small map) But that was before they nerfed the National wonder count.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I always thought that the Gallic Warriors were great UU for early wars mainly die to the fact that you can build them without iron. Iron seems to be far rarer in my games than copper.
      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Really? I thought you still needed iron. What about copper?
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
          Really? I thought you still needed iron. What about copper?
          No, either copper or iron. So you can get a swordsman unit (with Guerilla I) with copper.
          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

AFAIK Gallic warriors can be promoted to Guerilla III, which makes them a little less crappy. The Dun bonus does not stack for them, though -- they don't get to start with a free Guerilla II although you can choose it from your barracks.

I agree about spi/cha being superior to agg/cha. The free no hassle switches in and out of vassalage and theocracy are just great.
            The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Aggressive is stronger than most people think. Not only is it a free promotion, but it accelerates the curve of promotions (especially with Cha).

What is it, something like promotions at 2, 5, 10, 17? With Cha, it's 2, 4, 8, 13 I think.

So, without Agg you get level 4 at 13XP. With Agg you get level 4 at 8XP !!

Plus, cheap Barracks feeds the early rush. And, 2 happy with Nationalism... tasty.

Wodan

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11
                Aggressive is stronger than most people think. Not only is it a free promotion, but it accelerates the curve of promotions (especially with Cha).....

Wodan
                Yep, I prefer Boudica to Brennus for pure warmongering.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyMartini
                  I agree about spi/cha being superior to agg/cha. The free no hassle switches in and out of vassalage and theocracy are just great.
                  A couple of others spring to mind.

Police State - With Pyramids this can be a very useful early civic
                  Nationalism - With happiness flowing so freely in the world of Charismatic Spiritualists (half price temple and all the CHA happiness) just draft a Level 3 army (with Vassalage/Theology) and take out another neighbour.

Who needs Level 4 units? - the Heroic Epic city will be building those anyway

Comment

HELP my aar has been hijacked!!!~

sorry I havent finished yet... should be able to today.

The UU and UB are complete crap BTW. Defensive mellee is too situational to be worth a wasted UU, and the UB is completely worthless unless all border cities get built on a hill, AND actually get attacked. But i digress.

Its the combination of spiritual and charismatic that I LOVED!

And I'll discuss that when I finish the AAR.

To reply to somone else... Its because I was KICKING so much ass, that I fealt the need to discuss this game.
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

... too continue.

I settle in after the short war with rome and continue my build game. I had left a few units on the border of montezuma and the khmer, just in case, but held my main force in bombay (to handle the culture revolt issue). I build a railline through the khmer, but its still a 3 or 4 turn run through.

I didnt have to wait long, Ceasar declares war on Charlamaign and moves his forces in. I sent my border units through Monty's lands and into the HRE to help defend, Char looses 2 cities in quick order but I stop it there. And my main stack takes the 2 Aztec cities that seperate the HRE and cambodia. I then retake the 2 cities Char lost with little effort (rifles vs infantry) and liberate them back to the HRE.

Now during this war I had no real sense of danger or urgency. The HRE took the whole brunt of the attack and rome had no navy. Monty's navy consited of a few frigates and galeons that a single destroyer was able to remove. Egypt and the mali remained Nuetral, and Spain was impotent.

This left me in possesion of 2 cities rather far from home ( i wanted to gift them to the HRE but that wasnt alowed, liberating would have returned them to Monty) but I now held a continuous rail line from my lands to charlamaign's.

I then left my main stack in this area, and built up a small force to keep in my homeland. a few extra cannons and infantry.

Then I just kept right on teching.
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

The next 40 turns I spend finishing up buildings, spreading corporations and teching as quickly as possible.

Normally at this point, the game is already won. I have a huge production and tech advantage. Guaranteed spaceship victory. So normally I'd bore myself right out of this one and start a new game. However, I had already made the plan of going for a late game domination win, so that I could use all the end tech military units that I didnt get to use with tokugawa.

Now some things I may have already glossed over, or not. Huyana's capital was a nice production city. Had some seafood and lots of hills and forests. I made that my heroic epic city, settled a couple great generals. Beshbalik, Ghenghis's capital, I had to delay capturing because he had a GG pop from my catapults so I let him settle that, and that made 3 GG's in place there. My own capital had a single GG and the 50% bonus military academy with the ironworks. After Industrialization I built only few tanks but made an amphib force to go with my super-promoted destroyers.

I had founded the happy 4 corporations in bombay. Sid's sushi, aluminum co., creative const, and civilized jewelers (they all stack! ). Wich really added some seriouse $$ flow once I had gotten them spread around (to vassals and such) combined with the pre existing shrines.

At this rate I will be using Modern armor and stealth bombers VS infantry... Its looking good for a nice easy-peasy stompin party....

Comment

Originally posted by couerdelion Who needs Level 4 units? - the Heroic Epic city will be building those anyway
                          Getting level 4 for the cost of level 3 was an example. Another example is get level 3 for the cost of level 2. Or 5 for 4.

The point this was an example to was that Agg accelerates the curve.

But, probably more importantly, it lets you get to some of the "fun" promotions easier, faster, and with a greater percentage of your army.

Wodan

Comment

as wodan says. with Combat I you quickly get access to some very nice and nifty upgrades with barracks xp, and another with vass. or theo. just by barb stomping you get your units up to level 4, halfways to 5. no matter what you say, when that is your standard, your troops will rip to shreds for example a non-agg/prot/chm civ. and really give a hard time to those as well. maybe I'll run a Boudicea wargame to show you the power of xp...
                            Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Now I'd like to take a moment to personally thank EVERYONE involved in making this the most enjoyable game in history, primarily with the AI. Not only are there real personalities that you love to hate, but the game see's whats going on in the world and acts accordingly. So again, thank you guys that help build this one.

Ceaser took his nanosecond to consider his options. He's the number 2 civ. But very behind in techs. He's obviosly facing a builder going for a space race win that has few military units. ( I had built perhaps 10 land units since the ancient era.) The best way to upset that is with.... WAR.

I spent 40 turns on corporations and buildings, with the exception of 1 city. He spent 40 turns building units. He was going to overcome my tech advantage by shear weight of numbers. In the first war I had knocked him back a few notches on the powergraph, but he came back with a vengance.

Comment

Normally when an AI declares war it does so by moving units into your teritory. Occasionally however they make a demand that if denied, they answer with war. That must have been what happened here. He most likely demanded assembly line from Charlamaign whom refused and then answered with war. So this led to a problem for me, as I didnt see any stacks moving at charlamaign or myself, I sent my stack in towards Monty's cities.

I did leave some bombers and a couple units to defend the likely route of attack.
                                Of course... what I saw I was in no way prepared for....

It was in his own lands, so all I could do was bomb it, wich did keep it pinned. Hopefully long enough to bring up more units.

Now we come to the Brennus traits. Now I love Tokugawa for all those free promotions, they however dont add up together and really are only a marginal benefit. But with brennus...

Spiritual civ lets me immediatly switch civics to a more military set up without mucking about with all that revolution sillyness. Vassalage, and theology add 4 more XP on top of barracks + pentagon. I keep representation running because Advanced flight then the laser are coming up... I'll sacrifice the production bonus, because my cities crank out units fast enough as is. Now all that extra xp lets me add LOTS of promotions to my units. Beshbalik and my heroic epic city both give me units with 4 promos. Promotions I can control! not just random tiny helpful promotions, BUT controlled specific promotions... Brand new helicopters with BLITZ! Super units that can be tailored to what I need them for...

I'm going to need every bit of it....
                                Last edited by Hauptman; January 8, 2008, 20:43.

Comment

Working...
                                X