Brennus as a warmonger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brennus as a warmonger?

I had recently just finished a game that I had no intention of doing any sort of ARR on but the game just ended up as quite a special game, and a very entertaining game to play.

My usual settings (fractal, monarch, marathon, 18 civs) and I chose brennus. I had never used him and mainly wanted to see how his UU and UB worked, mainly if they stacked and gave you free guerilla 2 promo's.

It was his atributes, spiritual and charismatic, that supprised me the most. Together they gave me an advantage I hadn't planned on having.

I started the game with a fairly nice floodplain start. Pretty much beelined to pottery to get cottages up on those floodplains then the mining path to mine some hills. I founded 3 additional cities, mainly as protection for my capital, as I hadnt planned any victory strategy out and was just gonna let the game take me where it willed. The northern and western cities both founded on hills to take advantage of the free guerilla promotions, but my southern city was a jungle city that was placed to take advantage of resources, banana and elephants.

Time tells me that the game WILL be combatative, for 1 simple reason. Ghengis lives next door. So I waste no time in getting iron working and a decent military. And as expected, Ghengis declares war.

Now Ghengis was to my west, Huyana south, lincoln, sitting bull, and fredrick north. Ghandi is close by but I cant see where yet. Once Ghengis started his little war, I used the oportunity to expand at his expense. I took 2 cities from him in a straight line west, and ended the war.

About this time Ghandi's Judaism has spread throught my peninsula and tensions begin to lesson. However Ghandi himself had also founded Hinduism, and he remained Hindu. Poor silly ghandi. Khan turns his attentions towards him as well as us remaining jews. Khan asked me to join him in the war and I oblige. Mainly a way to gain some time to plan my own assaults upon my neighbors.

Khan had many cities, twice as many as I even after I claimed 2. Huyana had an equal amount as me and some remarkable land, even though it was a jungle ridden start. Lincoln to my north had built a couple wonders that made my mouth water. and sitting bull, well he's usually a non entity in my games. A mackaral in a pond of large mouth bass to be fed upon.

I decide on Huyana first. He's usually a powerhouse that can't be left alone less he out tech me. One city in particular perked my intrest. 2 gems, 1 silver, banana and dye, with hills and a river. Such a great location cannot be left to wither under poor management.

I invaded as soon as civil service and machinery where mine. some time around 250ad. About half way through my landgrab, Ghengis declared war on me (likely as a favor to huyana) but my elephants and soon to be pikes held him at bay easily. That settled who the next target would be for 3 reasons. First, I was now already at war. B) You cant trust him as a friend or neighbor. And alternatly, Huyana, ghengis, and I filled a section of a peninsula that would give me a solid border to my north and coastline everywhere else.

The war is long. I tell myself 'I will not stop til the land is all mine'. Even though I might be lagging behind everyone else from high maintanace and pure unit production (no buildings) I persevere. After some time Ghengis is beaten off the face of the planet and Huyana holds one vasalized city that was in such a horrible possition I didnt want it. It did have horses wich I did not have, but i traded Iron for them once he was Vasalized.

Once I thought I was done, a Pleased Fredrick asked me to help him with that Outcast Ghandi and I obliged thus making fredrick Friendly. My stack was already in the area and I finally moved into ghandi's lands (for the first time) and saw what all the ruckus was about.

Just beyond Ghandi was a Buhdist Cambodia. Not very friendly with me and quite large, also at war with Ghandi. He had just captured Ghandi's capital a turn or two after I had gotten his #2 city (bombay? or is that the capital name?) His cap was the holy city for BOTH Hinduism and Judaism. and of course he had built both buildings. It was shear greed that made ghandi a target. Well as I moved my stack on towards another Indian target, Ghandi retook his capital. My stack was adjacent and he now held the MONEY city with a single hurt longbow. Merry christmas to me!!!! I snatch the city, and quickly vassalize him thus ending the bloodshed and leaving me with a buffer against the Khmer. 75+ gold per turn now from this one city alone, In conjunction with my own confucian holy city wich gave me another 20 or so.

I was now set. A nice straight northern border with friendly civs and a vassal buffer against a powerful unfriendly civ.

I had taken a mear two screenshots of this game, and Here is one of an event That made me giggle. It gives you a look at the layout of the land, and who I faced.

By the way, sorry if its so HUGE but daddy got a new monitor for xmas!!!~

This is basicly where I remained throught the game. Not expanding further because I wanted to try using this possition to do a LATE game expansion with all the cool units that I didnt get to use with Tokugawa...

Catharine and Toku shared an island just south of me. Luois was south east alone on an isle. and all the others west of the Khmer on a connected portion of my own continent. Connected by a single tile land bridge under the control of Montezuma and/or the Khmer.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Brennus is the ultimate warmonger.
    Spiritual+charismatic is difficult to beat for warmongering, but is nearly equally suitable for building. So Brennus has the best of both worlds.

Comment

So I settle in for a long build game. Using my large empire and wise trades to out-tech everyone else. Keeping my northern friends (lets call them the canadians ) happy and keeping a close eye on the khmer. Ceasar kept himself Busy with wars with all his neighbors and was amassing a few vassals.

Bah gotta get back to work, more to come soon.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

ok, back...

Where was I? Oh yeh. Lincoln, in all his generosity, built the Apostolic Palace for me. I say "for me" because my votes totaled over all 3 canadians combined. And thanks to Ghandi's early founding, It took very little work on my part to get Judaism into a city in every country, thus giving me some control over the whole world.

All of wich proved to be useful... Sometime after the gunpowder age, Ceasar ran out of targets on his end so He picked a fight with Lincoln. Lincoln begged me to protect him from the badman and asked to be my vassal. I agreed obviosly, for a couple reasons. His culture was knocking on my northern cities doors and I figured my Rifles should have no difficulty dealing with any maces or knights that might get boated over, as the Khmer protected me from a major land attack. The only thing that was going to happen in this war was going to happen in the water.

So I sent my 3 frigates (converted from my caravels I used to gain my circumnavigation bonus) towards Charlamaign, a roman vassal. As soon as my ships were in sight of the HRE border he sent his own ships... a stack of 8 frigates came out at me! MOMMY! I turn tail and run, seak refuge in a city. I had by this time ironclads on all my seafood, so he did not pursue. Couple of turns later the AP lets me force peace and so ends the great war...

After another 100 years or so, I finally finish assembly line. I use all my surplus cash to upgrade units and I finally decide its been long enough and I move on the Khmer. Infantry, cannon, and cavalry against longbows... why was I so worried? I take 3 cities in quick succession (including his capital) and Force vassalization. I liberate his cities back to him and gain a real nice vassal. give him the lower end gunpowder techs and now he's a useful ally.

Combustion finishes and a couple turns later Charlamaign breaks his vassal agreement with Rome. Well I cant pass this up. I declare war and send my shiney new destroyers at him. He had at least 30 frigates in his short shoreline... it was a turkey shoot, especially with new blitz capable boats. My charismatic lets me promote my few destroyers very quickly. Now this was the first major suprise. Simply by sinking his ships, I weakened him enough that he capilulated! Not a single land battle took place and he capitulates? Wow that was a suprise.

So now I have half the continent friendly or vassalized. The other half is controled by rome. The showdown is inevitable. So I settle in and wait.
        Last edited by Hauptman; January 5, 2008, 19:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauptman
          (lets call them the canadians )
          So they're superior to you?
          - Dregor

Comment

Originally posted by dregor

So they're superior to you?
            Ummm I would make a good canada joke but ummm, I dont want to get yelled at..

Comment

text coming....

...after I get Home to my dial up!~
              Last edited by Hauptman; January 8, 2008, 20:34.

Comment

100 Unit SoD

Edit: There should be a section on the forum for AR and AARs. I'd frequent there.

Edit2: Did Dun and the Gallic Warriors Guerilla stack? I've yet to random Celts.
                "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

Originally posted by Fleme
                  100 Unit SoD

Edit: There should be a section on the forum for AR and AARs. I'd frequent there.

Edit2: Did Dun and the Gallic Warriors Guerilla stack? I've yet to random Celts.
                  If memory serves, it does not, and you can't promote them past Guerilla I either.
                  - Dregor

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                    Brennus is the ultimate warmonger.
                    Spiritual+charismatic is difficult to beat for warmongering, but is nearly equally suitable for building. So Brennus has the best of both worlds.
                    Next game I plan to use Bodicea(sp?) for early warmongering. I figure charismatic+aggressive should be a good warrior combo.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

wow if this is indeed Monarch level, and you are kicking this much ass without editing the difficulty levels in the Civ 4 Config and .ini files...

then you have to be one of the greatest Civ 4 players i have ever seen in my life...
                      Order of the Fly
                      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

CHM/AGG would be the best warmongering combo (in my opinion!). The only time I used unrestricted leaders was when I tried Boudica of the Romans (this was on Emperor, Marathon). Won by Conquest on 1914. She's good.
                        "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

Originally posted by Fleme
                          CHM/AGG would be the best warmongering combo (in my opinion!). The only time I used unrestricted leaders was when I tried Boudica of the Romans (this was on Emperor, Marathon). Won by Conquest on 1914. She's good.
                          I’m definitely with Blake on this one. The CHA/AGG combination is not so great because they are what can be considered as “additive” bonuses rather than multiplicative. Better, for example, is FIN/CHA or AGG/ORG where the FIN or ORG trait help to pay to maintain cities captured using the warmonger trait.

The reason why SPI/CHA is so powerful is

a) CHA is better than AGG
                          b) SPI allows you to hop between civics freely and, for aggressive games, this includes switching from peacetime civics (eg Org Rel) to wartime civics (particularly Theology and Vassalage).

And I’m fairly certain that the UU and UB bonuses don’t stack – or they BOTH give the Gallic Warrior a Guerilla I bonus. Brennus has, IMHO two very weak bonuses there.

Comment

The Dun gives only Archery units and Musketmen the Guerilla 1. Melee units do not get anything. So the Gallic Swordsman is a Swordsman with Guerilla 1, the Dun does not affect it since it's a melee unit. I am not sure if it can be further upgraded though...

As for the Agg/Cha vs Spi/Cha, I'd say that the latter is better for anything but war. The Agg+Cha gets you some crazy strong experienced units fast. You just have to be able to keep up tech and cashwise somehow.

On a side note, one of my most interesting victories was when I played Japan. I had my own little island continent and stayed there all by my boring lonesome until the industrial age. then I built me an army and smashed the far bigger and tougher romans, then the germans and a few others as well. if you can establish a decent empire, then 2 combat traits will give you a hell of an advantage when you start conquering the world.
                            Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

This morning I've finished off my first OCC conquest game, 1175, Ragnar, Noble, Standard map size, Snakey Continents, Low Sea Level, 9 Civs inclucing me, Marathon speed.

Berzerkers really are. 70 cities and 8 settlers the final raze count.
                              Last edited by johnmcd; January 7, 2008, 11:16.
                              www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X