No announcement yet.

Protective Trait = Archer Rush Is Back.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protective Trait = Archer Rush Is Back.

Last edited by ZEE; December 31, 2010, 05:45.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Order of the Fly

Comment

You should play as the Native Americans - Drill III archers rock.
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Order of the Fly

Comment

Order of the Fly

Comment

I'm not sure this example is as effective as you're trying to make it. The fact that you have to crank out so many units to be effective means that you end up putting your economy into the toilet to support them. For example, in your first picture, you're running 30% science, 10% espionage (and why 10% espionage?) and still losing 8 gold per turn.

Second, you talk about the rush being "unstoppable", but what makes it so "unstoppable"? Against the AI, it's going to be effective, yes, but not more so than Chariots, or more importantly, Axes would be. You'd need less Axes, allowing higher research, and your Axes would end up getting much more effective, thanks to CR improvements.

I'd say that if you don't have Copper, which appears to have been the case here, then yes, you can try and fall back on an Archer rush. But I don't think you've made a compelling case than an Archer rush, even with a Protective Civ, is more effective than an Axe rush.

Bh

Comment

Only way I would justify an archer rush would be using Native americans or perhaps an unrestricted leader combo such as a protective leader with Babylon or Mali.

Main reason being archers cannot get city attack promotions, which is essential IMO to counter culture bonuses before seige weapons.

Comment

It's important to note, I think, that AAHZ was able to take 2 cultureless cities but failed to get the capitol with its big defense bonus (until Shaka weakened himself by an ill-advised counterattack).

Wodan

Comment

Order of the Fly

Comment

playing a financial civ you'll have about 10% more $ coming in total anyway, so diverting some of it to espionage might be well worth it, especially if you're planning a bit of warfare. I believe espionage has been undervalued somewhat.
                    Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

The reason to play Native American isn't the Philosophical but rather the unique building- the Totem Pole- which gives +3 exp to archer units. Add to barracks and you have 6 exp archers almost at start, and their UU isn't too bad either since it doesn't require iron or copper and has a +100% vs. melee. It's only STR 4, but 5x1.5=7.5 STR for regular axemen as opposed to 4x2=STR 8!

EDIT: I haven't played long enough to see if the Totem Pole also bonuses longbowmen or crossbowmen, but if it does it would make a good cause for a crossbow/longbow assault!
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 31, 2010, 05:46.
                        Order of the Fly

Comment

The reason to play Native American isn't the Philosophical but rather the unique building- the Totem Pole
                          Don't forget on top of all that he is protective... so even more xp out the gate.

Comment

City guard isn't an offensive option, although the Drill I can be...

Really the Native empire is built for early expansion/conquest and then once you've got a sizeable empire, sit back and be civilized the rest of the game.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 31, 2010, 05:46.
                              Order of the Fly

Comment

Working...
                              X