No announcement yet.

Has Civ 4 been abandoned by Firaxis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are spoiled, virulent, thats all...

Comment

ADM is dead. Long live... what the heck it is called, anyway?
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

R/S/P (Rock/Scisors/paper)

Comment

Originally posted by Unimatrix11
          I like that!

Comment

i agree Virulent. anything added to civ4 now would just be 'bloatware'. leave well enough alone - not talking about fixes
            i am really hoping they put some work into a 2nd alpha centuari before starting a civ5.
            i dont know about the rest of you, but civ5 is something that i just cant get excited about(at least for a couple of years) but a new A.C. game would totally rock. hell i would be happy if they just updated graphics/sound & did the kind of tinkering they used between civ4 & bts.

Comment

Originally posted by mike2h

i am really hoping they put some work into a 2nd alpha centuari before starting a civ5.
              Not very likely as EA holds the rights to the title.

Comment

What about Colonization ?

Comment

There's a mod team working on a Civ4 version of AC.

Wodan

Comment

What about Colonization ?
                    I believe that was a Microprose title. And IIRC, Atari ended up with all their assets. That would probably be alot more doable considering they sold off Civilization to 2K, and they're supposedly having financial problems. And Colonization wasn't exactly a blockbuster title either. I doubt it sold nearly as well as AC, though I could very well be wrong there.

Comment

Hate to be a grammar nazi but the proper abbreviation is RPS (easy to remember as half the time I'm reading about it I misread it as RTS )
                      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

Not very likely as EA holds the rights to the title.
                        guess we are screwed on that one

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11
                          There's a mod team working on a Civ4 version of AC.

Wodan
                          thx for the info. is there a site?

believe that was a Microprose title. And IIRC, Atari ended up with all their assets. That would probably be alot more doable considering they sold off Civilization to 2K, and they're supposedly having financial problems. And Colonization wasn't exactly a blockbuster title either. I doubt it sold nearly as well as AC, though I could very well be wrong there.
                          if atari has it we are screwed on this one to. you are 100% right about atari & their $$ probs.
                          i dont think colonization came anywhere near ac either as far as sales went.

Comment

Originally posted by mike2h
                            if atari has it we are screwed on this one to.
                            Well they did sell off Civilization to 2K, so it's entirely concievable that they would sell off something they don't think will make them alot of money.

Comment

Atari is either going out of business of will be bought up by someone else in 2008, so everything's wide open there

However, Colonization was bought back by Firaxis already (see our news archive), along with most of Sid Meier's other older titles (including Pirates, which is why that's now published by 2K and not Atari anymore). So far Firaxis has shown little interest in doing anything with most of those titles, but of course that could always change

Edit: As a side note, it's far from inconceivable that EA will buy up Take-Two in the not too distant future (though I see that more as a 2009 or 2010 thing, not so much anything that's imminent), many analysts are predicting this. So I guess everything's possible there for you SMAC fans. But if EA believed a SMAC sequel has commercial potential they would've made one years ago, it's not like the fact that it wouldn't be by the original team would stop them So even if Firaxis does end up being a subsidiary of EA I wouldn't get your hopes up too high, anything that sells under a million probably doesn't interest that company (and the original SMAC fell well short of that mark).
                              Last edited by Locutus; December 20, 2007, 07:12.
                              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

a new Colonization is so overdue it's a crime against nerdity. and SMAC deserves another incarnation, if only to make it a bit more streamlined and pleasurable to the eye.
                                Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Working...
                                X