• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not if you cite.

Comment

Kids these days
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Old people, not understanding how things are done nowadays
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
          Okay okay, here it is:

With the recent confusion of the patch release, I have sought the experience of someone to help us understand and to explain to all of us Civfanatics just what goes into creating a patch. This will be based on assuming a usual publisher-development relationship and not a self-publishing...

There are cases when not referring to material at CFC would be silly. It's a good writeup and I can't give a better answer than it has. Same goes for, say, modding guides. If there's an in-depth guide at CFC, I wouldn't be able to give a better answer here.

We have fair competition here, after all I'm quite the Apolytoner (and quite the civver), and I also go to CFC often for certain things.
          I'm not saying you shouldn't mention CFC.

I'm saying that you should make it easy for me to use this site and provide me reason to comeback. That means that if some other site has a scoop, you post a summary, one or two direct quotes and link.

In this case, you could quote / paraphrse Methos the same way you would quote a gamespot review. Make a reasonable sized quote, and add credit and maybe a link to the original sit.

I mean, I could find it myself, but what that kind of defeats the purpose of you running a Civ related site

Comment

You know, I really suck at being concise, and that includes making a concise version of something that someone else says

Anyway, this site has a Jewish admin. CFC doesn't. So you'll come here no matter what, and you can't trick me

חנון

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
              Kids these days
              Is it plagiarism when I post a WaPo article with a link?

Comment

Back in the day when code was written on paper and transferred to punchcards by your secretary, there was no such luxury. Hence, plagiarism

Comment

Non sequitur.

Comment

Man you're boring. Embrace the silliness!

Comment

I think you're just senile

Comment

Back to the topic at hand, I doubt that the CivFanatics article is correct for all developers/publishers. It may be true of some, but in many cases, the developer may take it upon itself to work on a patch from the time the first bug reports come in after a release or patch.

I would be surprised for example, if Firaxis did not jump on the bug reports for 3.13 right away and get to work on a patch. The difference here is that it is up to the publisher to release any patches. Since something like a "complete" edition will eventually be released, we could hope that the publisher would check for any code updates before release, and at the same time, release a patch for previous versions if one is available.

Another thing to think about is the flow of money, and how it works between publisher and developer. If the developers do not get paid for future releases of the same game, they will be less inclined to help the publisher. Patches that improve sales will generally help with sales, so the publisher SHOULD want more patches to be released as long as the costs do not outweigh the benefits.

Comment

It's a general article, mostly relevant to companies like Firaxis, though. There are companies such as Stardock and Valve, for example, for which that article would be largely irrelevant.

Comment

I think it's a poor move by 2K/Take Two not to allow Firaxis to release a quick fix for noticeable bugs that can be quickly fixed like the culture display bug.

Sure there are fan patches, but a large amount of Civ's playerbase don't visit fansites such as here and CFC and don't even know these fan patches exist. Then there's the issue of MP compatibility.

The culture display bug isn't anywhere close to a gamebreaking bug but it is noticeable, annoying and easily fixed. It makes 2K/Take 2 look bad as a publisher having such a noticeable bug in one of their flagship products.

Comment

Virulent Speaks teh truth.
                              Order of the Fly
                              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE and APPRECIATE all the work done by the fans who have supplied the community with fixes to the many bugs.

But as an MP player, it really pisses me off how quickly these bugs can be fixed by fans, and NOT by the company. I would love to have the problems fixed, but I don't dare download any of the unofficial fixes.

2K/Take Two may think there is no rush because the fans have solved their problems, but the MP community needs an official patch ASAP! They are aware of the problems, and just don't seem to understand our needs.

It can't be all that hard, considering the fans have already done it
                                Keep on Civin'
                                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X