No announcement yet.

Has Civ 4 been abandoned by Firaxis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly why no one should buy BtS until it's fixed. THAT might finally give the publishers the right message.

Comment

One of the problems here is that the first two patches WERE tested thoroughly, but still had significant bugs in them. That says "let's not release anything hastily, better to stay with status quo then release more bugs ...
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

name the source ! - Oh - haha - there was a second page of this thread already... - sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          Exactly why no one should buy BtS until it's fixed. THAT might finally give the publishers the right message.
          While I want the patch yesterday as much as the next guy, I have to say I just fired up the old vanilla civ for a GOTM over at CFC, first time in a coon's age, and ... man am I glad that I'm not doing what you say I should, I'd still be playing vanilla. I loved it to death two years ago, but with hindsight it's really rather limited in variety, and the AIs seem lame.

Come to think of it, I'd be playing Civ3, or Civ2, or Civ1, or ... chess, I suppose. Everything since chess has something that could be fixed. To each their own I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by puddnhead

While I want the patch yesterday as much as the next guy, I have to say I just fired up the old vanilla civ for a GOTM over at CFC, first time in a coon's age, and ... man am I glad that I'm not doing what you say I should, I'd still be playing vanilla. I loved it to death two years ago, but with hindsight it's really rather limited in variety, and the AIs seem lame.

Come to think of it, I'd be playing Civ3, or Civ2, or Civ1, or ... chess, I suppose. Everything since chess has something that could be fixed. To each their own I guess.
            Considering the amount of work went into balancing BtS you'd be suprised how much work went into Vanllia...
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

All of this, and I'd still buy another expansion.

Yes, I am addicted, oh so addicted...

The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
              "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
              "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
              The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander I
                All of this, and I'd still buy another expansion.

Yes, I am addicted, oh so addicted...

A new expansion would fix these obvious bugs and because they are here would be on the list to make sure are fixed for the expansion.

One expansion concept that would help would be an update to the game where every unit has a distinct offensive and defensive strength, possibly with weaknesses and strengths when fighting different types of units. This would eliminate certain problems with ancient units that have been promoted can take out modern/future units. It is one of the very few strengths of Medieval 2(I am not talking about playing on the battlefield). Just doing a certain percentage boost vs. a certain other unit doesn't handle enough situations. Siege engines should be weak against attacks in general because their strength is in the damage they can do when attacking. I don't agree with them not having any fighting ability since there will be people manning them though.

Comment

As a long time gamer, I find the complaints of the gaming community to often be self-destructive. I do love Civ as well as a few other games, though I am no longer a hardcore gamer. Wife, kids, job, house, cars, real-life friends... all pull time away from the computer. And that's not a bad thing (nor is gaming a bad thing). But with this perspective in mind, consider the typical complaints on message boards.

A patch is put out quickly - people complain it didn't cover enough fixes.
                  A patch is slower - people complain the company took too long.
                  A patch is announced - people complain if it misses the target date.
                  A patch isn't announced until a few days before release - people complain that they weren't told.

See a common thread? Something about b*tching on the internet. So given that, why would a company want to make ANY announcements until everything was about set in stone? Just look at the flight sim world of, oh, 10-15 years ago. It tore itself apart.

I'd love to see another patch, well tested and cleaning up everything -practical- before the hiatus while Civ V is built (assumin... ). And especially for MP for reasons stated above. Just don't self-destruct the Civ community!

Comment

Is it wrong of me to be happy on these forums? I mean I love the game I am playing and have no problem using the unofficial patch and putting it on the three computers on our LAN and keeping them up to date for what little Multiplayer I can con the other family members into playing.

I love what I have and look forward to even better. Reading this thread I feel like there must be something wrong with me, even more than what my family and friends point out to me at every opportunity.

I am so glad that playing Civ makes me happy, because you people make me feel like I should be not only unhappy but furious about something. Personally, I save unhappy and furious for things like starving kids and stupid politicians. It must be misplaced priorities, I guess.

Enjoy your anger. In fact, enjoy anything you want to. I am going to go feed a kid, vote against a politician, and then play some more Civ.
                    If you aren't confused,
                    You don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by eris
                      Is it wrong of me to be happy on these forums? I mean I love the game I am playing and have no problem using the unofficial patch and putting it on the three computers on our LAN and keeping them up to date for what little Multiplayer I can con the other family members into playing.

I love what I have and look forward to even better. Reading this thread I feel like there must be something wrong with me, even more than what my family and friends point out to me at every opportunity.

I am so glad that playing Civ makes me happy, because you people make me feel like I should be not only unhappy but furious about something. Personally, I save unhappy and furious for things like starving kids and stupid politicians. It must be misplaced priorities, I guess.

Enjoy your anger. In fact, enjoy anything you want to. I am going to go feed a kid, vote against a politician, and then play some more Civ.
                      I'm not sure which thread you've been reading but I haven't seen any anger here. In fact this entire thread has been extremely civil.

Comment

I've been pleased to see no recurrence of the anger. Still some underlying sarcasm from here and there, though. Which could be perceived that those posters still have anger but are suppressing overt expression of it. Wise of them and the rest of us surely appreciate it. I know I do.

Re: going back to A/D/M system.
                        Not gonna happen, IMO. Maybe in Civ5 but certainly not in a Civ4 expansion.

Wodan

Comment

It's hard to be angry as an SP player since the unofficial patches work well and solve the major problems.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for the MP players...
                          Don't get me wrong, I love and play the game... but I just wish they would release a quick patch that cleans up the known problems so that the MP players could have it as well )
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I am pretty sure (just out of my guts) that there wont be any more Civ4-expansions. The fans are just too b*tchy :P - jk. But seriously: I wouldnt go as far as to say, that i´d eat my Civ4-box if there was another expansion, but i "sense" there wont be one.

Comment

I have no doubt that ADM is gone forever...
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I'm not sure why people are gung ho about a new expansion pack for Civ IV. After BtS I can't possibly think of anything else they could add that wouldn't end up bloating up the game or turning it into something that isn't Civ IV.

The only thing they could really add at this point are new civs and scenarios and that would make for a really lackluster expansion pack after what we got with BtS.

Comment

Working...
                                X