How often do you expect to win?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you expect to win?

This is a topic I've bought up before in various contexts.

I make the assertion that SP players tend to choose a difficulty where they usually win, rather than one where they win about as often as any other AI in the game.

Vote and/or write in your answer.
    Every time, losing is a major upset!
    16.67%
    9 times out of 10
    9.65%
    8 times out of 10
    15.79%
    7 times out of 10
    17.54%
    6 times out of 10
    6.14%
    5 times out of 10 (fairs fair!)
    12.28%
    4 times out of 10
    7.89%
    3 times out of 10
    3.51%
    2 times out of 10
    4.39%
    1 time out of 10 (fairs REALLY fair!)
    2.63%
    Almost never, winning is a miracle!
    2.63%
    I'm Bananas and don't actually play CIV.
    0.88%

Hmm. I never expect to just win. I expect to earn it.
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Then again, I'm an MP player who occasionally plays SP, so I suppose I don't count, do I?
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
        Then again, I'm an MP player who occasionally plays SP, so I suppose I don't count, do I?
        Correct. MP players are forced to accept that they only win 1/N times, where N is the number of players in the game. Well, on average anyway. Better players win more often, poorer players even less often.

Comment

Care to join us for an MP game shortly Blake? Rah is hosting one in 20 minutes if you want to join.

Comment

every time. But I don't like playing a level that is too easy for me. Right now warlord is too easy and Noble is too difficult. This is strange because I used to stomp noble, and people are saying BTS has made the game easier, not harder. That just hasn't been my experience so far.

Comment

I win about half the time.

I do tend to move around the difficulties though - sometimes I will play on a lower level when I just want to have a "romp".
              I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I actually only started playing in earnest earlier this year and never have finished a game- by modern times I usually get bored and start a new one. I figure I would've won most if not all of the noble level games, about 1/2 the prince, and 2 of the Monarch level games. I haven't played above monarch.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

3/10 here.

Once I get to the point where I win 8/10 games (like on Noble, for instance) against the AI it starts to get tedious and more mechanical. I still lose a couple times now and again, sure, but meh, most of the time I'll end up so far ahead of the AI it's a non-issue, and then I step up to the next level.

I suppose that's part of the reason I see such a huge divide, come to think of it, between the difficulty levels, as I step up to the next one before I've really perfected the previous.

Hmm. Interesting thought, there.

Me.

Comment

every time. i must win.

just kidding, i should play sometime.

Comment

So me...

I'm a "every timer" pretty much .

One reason that I tend to play at the medium levels (Monarch) might be so I "stay in touch" with the difficulty which normal players play on. Another reason might be it allows for more creative expression rather than brutal optimization. Or I just play to relax, most of the time.

With my aggressive AI, I usually go for around 6/10, I'm willing to accept more losses due to the injection of random chaos.

I also don't shy away from playing the odd absurdly hard game, but on average, I want to win every time - that's what's enjoyable for me.

Funnily enough people have always thought I'm being judgmental when I say that "most people want to win every time".

I could have technically included a even "lamer" category of "Every time! I rig the settings and/or cheat to ensure it happens!"
                      There is definitely a different between that and wanting to win every time but also wanting to be challenged... But I decided there was no real need for the distinction.

Comment

On Monarch, I expect to win every time playing non-aggressively (with or without Aggressive AI).

On Emperor, I expect to win if I play well and use optimal tactics. If I fancy a shot at a non-aggressive game, I'm prepared to admit defeat early if it looks unlikely to work out.

Comment

When I am trying to move up a level, like right now from prince to monarch I expect to lose most of the time...like 8 or 9 out of ten. At Prince I expect to win 6-8 out of 10.
                          I will also try different settings within a difficulty level. These games I really don't have a hard fast expectation other than to have fun.

Comment

3/10 (max)

I think if I won every other game, or more, I would move up a difficulty level.
                            I really don't play as much as I would like to (spare time seems a rare commodity these days ), but when I do play I like to have to think real hard about every decision I make, its ramifications to my current situation, and the long term future of my civilization.
                            I get just as much enjoyment (and possibly more) when I get a good sound thrashing from the AI as when I'm sitting on top of the pile come game end.
                            My favourite games tend to be when I'm mid-table mid-game, but by carefully managing every decision I gradually creep up the table to squeeze out a well earned victory at the last gasp.......
                            That's when the celebrations really begin...
                            Let your every day be full of joy, love the child that holds your hand, let your wife delight in your embrace, for these alone are the concerns of humanity.
                            The BtS Pitboss Team Democracy Game has just started!!!
                            Come and test your metal in the Apolyton Civ4 Beyond the Sword Tri-League Tournament
                            Tohunga o kairākau of Southern Cross in the Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game, and Member of the Great Council and Curator of The Khan's Compendium for The Horde in the Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

I put down 7/10 on Prince... that is what I put, but I guess I could be winning more often if I really gave it a proper go

but I play to relax, so I like trying out different stuff to see how it works and win anyhow :-)

so almost always I play a random civ, and there are plenty of options... use fractal maps, and see how it goes...
                              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                              X