Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you know what would really reduce micromanagement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you know what would really reduce micromanagement?

Use world builder to plan tile improvements that your automated workers will construct following your plan

Many times I know exactly which tile improvements I want to create for my city and how I want to distribute them. If I am in an MP game, I will even bother to put signs in all the tiles saying which improvement will go to that tile, thus building a plan.

Provided that with advanced start you can actually place the improvements in the tiles you want, I think it would be not so difficult to add in a patch (or a mod) the ability to plan the improvements. Then you would put your workers in automatic and they would improve the city tiles acording to your plan, but without having to bother to move them manually each few turns. After all, you just need to make the decissions. That's the strategical choice and the fun. Moving the workers is just micromanagement.

For the veteran players, it would be like the system in Call to Power, but instead of the improvements being bought with points, you would just plan them and your automated workers would construct them.

Rally points with army compositions
    When great generals are planing their wars they say things such as "I want 5 divisions of tanks and 10 of infantry here" and then they leave someone else to do the task, not caring about how the divisions actually arrive to that point. Imagine that you could create a rally point and say "I want 5 tanks units and 10 infantry units" and then, your free units which are not performing another mission (or your new built units if no unit was free) would move to that position.

Again, I can do it myself. But I have to go through all the map searching for the units (even with the help of the F5 advisor) and it is just mechanical micromanagement. Not real fun. Anyway, if someone really wanted to do it personally nothing would force him to use the rally points...
    "Never trust a man who puts your profit before his own profit." - Grand Nagus Zek, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, episode 11
    "A communist is someone who has read Marx and Lenin. An anticommunist is someone who has understood Marx and Lenin." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Both seem like great ideas.
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Comment

Thanks! As you see they are intended to avoid you many clicks but they dont make any choice or decission for you. So they don't kill the game. Just make it faster and more fun.
      "Never trust a man who puts your profit before his own profit." - Grand Nagus Zek, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, episode 11
      "A communist is someone who has read Marx and Lenin. An anticommunist is someone who has understood Marx and Lenin." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Comment

The first probably wouldn't be too hard to do in python. Time consuming, but not terribly difficult. You'd have to figure out some way to have a handle on worker 'priorities' (how the automated worker system, now, chooses what to improve next) and forcibly increment the priority for what you want done to the top of the queue - probably needs some C++ here. Blake might be able to help in that regards, i can't imagine exposing worker priorities to python is terribly difficult.

The second I have no idea ... i don't think it's very significant though, the first (CTP style workers, essentially) is probably a much more common request and would be a much more interesting mod. The second cuts down on a relatively small amount of micro. You might be able to set it so your rally points were unit specific, but that's the only thing I can imagine being in the realm of "possible" in that regard. Setting it so exactly 10 tanks go to one spot seems unlikely.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I like both ideas. Perhaps CTP style improvements bought using gold would also be an idea.

Comment

I remember this idea came up well before Civ3 came up. It's still good.

(CtP's implementation is though.)

Comment

When you hold SHIFT you can queue orders for your workers!

Just like:
              *holds hift
              - right click on a spot where you want your worker to go to
              - pick an action you want it to do there (ie: mine)
              - click on another sport (or click on: 'road to')
              - pick an action
              - road to another spot
              *release shift

works perfectly.
              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I never knew that....that's useful information, thanks.

Comment

Wow! That's amazing! :-O
                  Now... why no one told me before?

Anyway, it would be even better if you could plan the tile improvements to be done by any free worker, and not by an specific worker.

Comment

supposedly you can set a rally point as well by pressing shift right-click, but in the few times i have tried to use this i have not been able to get it to work. could be something obvious that i am doing wrong, but shift right click seems easy enough. assigning the function 'go to tile x,y' to a hot-key or unit action button would be real convenient when building up an army.

Comment

A lot of the fun of Civilization is micromanaging workers and armies. I can't be the only one who thinks so.
                      Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela
                        A lot of the fun of Civilization is micromanaging workers and armies. I can't be the only one who thinks so.
                        You and I cannot be the only TWO who think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe

You and I cannot be the only TWO who think so.
                          Make that three.

Comment

If you want to micromanage your workers, no problem with it. I am not saying that you shouldn't be able to do it. I am saying there should be an alternative for people who consider that boring... ;-)

Besides, I am not saying that the game should make the decissions for you. I say that, one you have made the decissions and the choices, the plan should be performed automatically. I think the fun is about making the strategic choices, not about clicking one thousand times to do what you already decided.

Just my two cents.
                            Last edited by OliverFA; August 25, 2007, 14:11.

Comment

OliverFA, Sir, you're brilliant. excellent ideas. now just get someone to implement them
                              Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Working...
                              X