No announcement yet.

How Do You Guys Ever Win?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you auto-attack with a stack, the computer should put attack in the order that makes most sense from an odds of winning. It's not always so straightforward if you have catapults/trebs in your stack, so I typically handle the siege units myself, and then let the computer handle the stack attack in most - not all - cases.

In your example, if the knights are attacking first, it's likely because the odds of you winning if the maceman attacked first is even worse.

But the most important thing, if you're attacking a stack, use the catapults first to weaken the whole stack then attack with the macemen and knights in whatever order makes sense based on the types and strength of the AI units defending. Catapults, like it or not, are throw away units, but even though you lose them, it saves you many regular military units in the long run.

Comment

I never do a stack attack. I look at the defenders and choose the unit I want to attack, and the order in which I want them to go.

Sometimes the best choice is to first send in a unit you know will almost certainly die, to weaken one strong defender, after which your other units can mop up.

You will never learn these kind of tactics if you do stack attacks.

Simply watching the dumb order that the AI sometimes does attacks should convince you that some things are better under your control.

Wodan

Comment

I concur with wodan11 - often I have a stack of veteran units I want to promote mixed with new units with lower experience points. I often attack with the lower exp units first - they die, or if they survive against improbable odds they got a metric ****ton of exp points. They will usually at least damage the defenders to the point that the vets can clean them up relatively safely, gaining more exps in the process. You gotta replace the cannon fodder troops after this though.

Another tactic, which I have been using recently, is to put a Spy in the enemy city before you attack. If you have devoted some espionage points to that civ, you hopefully have enough for the Spy to support a revolt in the city. That causes a one turn revolt, meaning that the defense bonus of the city from culture and walls is ZERO. Like bombarding with Catapults etc for a while, except without the waiting, and only for one turn. It works wonders. Note that the longer the Spy sits in the city, the cheaper (i.e. less exp points) it is to support this revolt, but the more likely it is the Spy will be discovered and lost. This tactic works on enemy capitals too!
        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

Another tactic, which I have been using recently, is to put a Spy in the enemy city before you attack. If you have devoted some espionage points to that civ, you hopefully have enough for the Spy to support a revolt in the city. That causes a one turn revolt, meaning that the defense bonus of the city from culture and walls is ZERO. Like bombarding with Catapults etc for a while, except without the waiting, and only for one turn. It works wonders. Note that the longer the Spy sits in the city, the cheaper (i.e. less exp points) it is to support this revolt, but the more likely it is the Spy will be discovered and lost. This tactic works on enemy capitals too!
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Yes, it is especially worth its spy points, when you still have "only" Trebuchets and Catapults and therefore would have to spend several turns bombarding till the +50 or even +100 defense from walls (+castle) are reduced to adequate low levels.
              I normally have around 2 spies in my armies during the early wars (as it is probable that at least one of them gets detected).

In later wars it´s of course no problem as artillery, destroyers or planes are the bane of any cultural defense
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Yeah, that revolting thing to let your troops in through the main gate of the city works well. It also leaves a bitter taste in my mouth if I just do it repetitively. So now I save it for those special occasions and use traditional bombardment usually.

Comment

I actually feel as though the support city revolt with spies is way too cheap. I've used it quite a bit, but I think it's quite overpowered at the cost.

Comment

The cost of spy missions is based on your distribution of available spy points over many, many turns. Thus, the mission is cheap only if you spent a lot over the years to make it cheap now. If in RL, you built a network of agents and secret allies over many years, you would certainly use that network when your army showed up at the gate. In the game, the AI is pretty good at spending points to thwat you, so don't feel bad taking them out. That said, it is not a tactic I ever use as I don't build a lot of spies and use them to explore and sabotage construction rather than foment revolts.
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                      Yeah, that revolting thing to let your troops in through the main gate of the city works well. It also leaves a bitter taste in my mouth if I just do it repetitively. ...
                      Acquire more resources and wash it away.
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by BigWilly1974
                        But the most important thing, if you're attacking a stack, use the catapults first to weaken the whole stack then attack with the macemen and knights in whatever order makes sense based on the types and strength of the AI units defending.
                        No, use the Catapults first to reduce the city's defences. Then use them to attack. Afterwards, manage all your remaining units individually because different defenders will take more or less of the collateral damage Siege units cause. Line up the proper attacker for what's left of the defenders and your odds will improve considerably.

Comment

Sorry, what I meant to say is in the open field, use the cats to weaken the enemy stack. City attacks are different obviously, where the emphasis is on reducing the defensive bonus to 0%.

Comment

I find stack attack to be infinitly superior to attacking one-by-one. I have tried the one-by-one approach and tested it by reloading(yes, random seed) against stack attack and stack attack always does better. Every single time i have ever used single attack i regret it-the causalties mount up like crazy even with good odds-whereas stack attack gives a win even with low odds. Inexplicable?

Regarding the original posts problem, i ussualy use as many troops as i can make in a reasonable time frame-sometimes i use stack of dooms of 20-40 guys(swords\maces\cavalry\tanks, depending on which era i choose to war in) if i have plenty of production. I did an immortal ''rush'' in my current game with 40+ of them in one stack, and just sent them in with no catapults or anything :stalin:
                            if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Working...
                            X