Overview of new map types (BtS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cartimandua
    However, I do enjoy the diversity that the map offers.
    Likewise. Although the potential exists for some really bad starts, the variety I'm seeing makes up for it.

Comment

"Big and Small," "Medium and Small," and "Hemispheres" are all attempts to make a viable alternative to "Terra" for those who want a game world with a quasi-Earth-like feel to it. They're not perfect replicas, but make for interesting gameplay nonetheless. I play on "Big and Small" quite a bit.
      The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
      "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
      "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
      The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Quasi earth for Big and Small? I don't think it's anywhere near earth or realistic. But then I wrote my own script so I'm probably biased.
        Clash of Civilization team member
        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander I
          "Big and Small," "Medium and Small," and "Hemispheres" are all attempts to make a viable alternative to "Terra" for those who want a game world with a quasi-Earth-like feel to it. They're not perfect replicas, but make for interesting gameplay nonetheless. I play on "Big and Small" quite a bit.
          I only have a few games under my belt, but I find that "Big and Small" often puts all civs on one continent. To me, that takes some of the exploratory fun out of the game. I'll have to give "Hemispheres" a shot next; in both "Big and Small" and "Medium and Small" it seemed like the AI was paying too much attention to founding nearly worthless cities on the various small islands, to the degree of crippling their economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kekkonen
            I only have a few games under my belt, but I find that "Big and Small" often puts all civs on one continent. To me, that takes some of the exploratory fun out of the game. I'll have to give "Hemispheres" a shot next; in both "Big and Small" and "Medium and Small" it seemed like the AI was paying too much attention to founding nearly worthless cities on the various small islands, to the degree of crippling their economy.
            Well, "Big and Small" sometimes does put everybody on one continent. But "Terra" always does.
            "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
            "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
            The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
              Quasi earth for Big and Small? I don't think it's anywhere near earth or realistic. But then I wrote my own script so I'm probably biased.
              Probably a reference just to the idea of one large continent (Europe-Asia-Africa landmass), one smaller continent (the Americas,) and the rest being scattered islands (Australia, etc.,) not necessarily to the types of terrain contained therein.

Your script is great, but it would be neat to see it become a little more customizable in terms of the size/quantity of continents/islands that are produced.
              "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Originally posted by jkp1187
                Probably a reference just to the idea of one large continent (Europe-Asia-Africa landmass), one smaller continent (the Americas,) and the rest being scattered islands (Australia, etc.,) not necessarily to the types of terrain contained therein.
                Pretty much.

Originally posted by jkp1187
                Your script is great, but it would be neat to see it become a little more customizable in terms of the size/quantity of continents/islands that are produced.
                Wish I could help you on that, but they're not mine. I only play-tested them. Still, I was excited to get new scripts at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander I

Wish I could help you on that, but they're not mine. I only play-tested them. Still, I was excited to get new scripts at all.
                  Sorry -- I meant LiDiCesare's "Tectonics" script.... I think it would be kind of cool to have his terrain/continent formation create landmasses that mimic the Hemispheres or Big/Medium & Small scripts.

(Not that I'm complaining. All of the above mentioned scripts are good in their own right, certainly a huge improvement over the plain jane continents/archipelago/pangaea defaults...)

By the way, is there a way to create a customized "shuffle" script that won't require me to go back to school to learn Python? I'd like to have a randomizer that takes me through just the three scripts mentioned above, so I never know what I'm going to play (other than that it will be one of the three.)
                  "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Originally posted by Kekkonen

Just luck of the draw. The game I'm playing now has two civs, myself included, on one continent, two more are on another continent nearby, and one civ has a land mass all to himself. I haven't encountered any of the other civs yet.

Comment

That's because I like randomness. I think Smartmap offers enough customisation power when it's needed.
                      Clash of Civilization team member
                      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

By the way, is there a way to create a customized "shuffle" script that won't require me to go back to school to learn Python? I'd like to have a randomizer that takes me through just the three scripts mentioned above, so I never know what I'm going to play (other than that it will be one of the three.)
                        Yeah - i would like to see an "exclude"option on the choice of the map scripts as well as the civ to play with. You know, like "random, but not xy"... there is certain civs and certain maps i wouldnt wanna play, but i dont like to be able to be picky or all-knowing, when it comes to the rest...
                        I would like that option on pretty much every setting, like land mass, numbers of civs and so on...

Comment

Working...
                        X