BtS unofficial patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blaupanzer
    Worth downloading? Of course it's worth downloading! Dates would help us know if we are up to date.
    The reason why I wrote, "when it's worth downloading a new version," (emphasis added) is that some changes will probably be minor enough that not everyone will want to download every version.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaupanzer
      Worth downloading? Of course it's worth downloading! Dates would help us know if we are up to date.
      At this point the latest update to this patch came last Friday (August 3rd, 2007).

Comment

• As of right now, it's definitely worth having the latest version because the last update was the blockade speed fix - which is a major improvement IMO.

I'll update soon with some new fixes, including Gyathaar's code. Now, if anyone helps me figure out what's the Settler crash all about and if it's because of Blue Marble or what...
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• I take it that when it is updated we go to the first post and download from there. Is that correct? That's what I have been doing so I hope so.
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

• Yes, sure

Comment

• Updated

* Fixed Quick-speed crash (whoops)
              * Auto-explore change per Bhruic.
              * Auto-explorers will heal when wounded.
              * Advanced start population selling fixed per Gyathaar
              * Fixed the AP-conversion hammer bug

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
                Updated

* Fixed Quick-speed crash (whoops)
                * Auto-explore change per Bhruic.
                * Auto-explorers will heal when wounded.
                * Advanced start population selling fixed per Gyathaar
                * Fixed the AP-conversion hammer bug
                Thanks as aways!!

Did this also include Gyathaar's quicker "Permanent Alliance Map Trading" tweak (as I hear is already in effect in normal map trading now in BtS)?

Comment

• Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you again, Solver!

You 'Da Man!

Comment

• I'm not sure if you want to include this, as it's pretty kludgy, but... As a fix to the "AI builds endless ships" problem:
                    Code:
                    void CvCityAI::AI_chooseProduction()
                    change:
                    Code:
                    if (AI_chooseUnit(UNITAI_ATTACK_SEA))
                    {
                    	return;
                    }
                    if (AI_chooseUnit(UNITAI_PIRATE_SEA))
                    {
                    	return;
                    }
                    if (AI_chooseUnit(UNITAI_RESERVE_SEA))
                    {
                    	return;
                    }
                    to:
                    Code:
                    if (kPlayer.AI_getNumAIUnits(UNITAI_ATTACK_SEA) + kPlayer.AI_getNumAIUnits(UNITAI_PIRATE_SEA) + kPlayer.AI_getNumAIUnits(UNITAI_RESERVE_SEA) < (kPlayer.AI_getWaterDanger(plot(), 4) * 3))
                    {
                    	if (AI_chooseUnit(UNITAI_ATTACK_SEA))
                    	{
                    		return;
                    	}
                    	if (AI_chooseUnit(UNITAI_PIRATE_SEA))
                    	{
                    		return;
                    	}
                    	if (AI_chooseUnit(UNITAI_RESERVE_SEA))
                    	{
                    		return;
                    	}
                    }
                    Note: The "* 3" can be changed to some other number if it's deemed too low/high, it just seemed a decent starting spot.

Bh

Comment

• Thanks for the effort, but I'm not sure about including that. Would want to test it fairly extensively and see what Blake thinks. Besides, it would seem that the conditions for choosing units better belong in the AI_chooseUnit() logic in the first place. I sure see what you mean though

And no, Gyathaar's ally map trade fix isn't in yet.

Comment

• Yeah, I didn't think so, it's too kludgy. On the other hand, it did work on the test save I was using, so I have to give it that.

I'm sure Blake can come up with something more elegant.

Bh

Comment

• Originally posted by Bhruic
                          Yeah, I didn't think so, it's too kludgy. On the other hand, it did work on the test save I was using, so I have to give it that.

I'm sure Blake can come up with something more elegant.

Bh
                          I'm willing to bet your fix there proficiently enough addressed the SYMPTOM of way too many ships being made for no apparent reason but hopefully Blake can get in there and figure out the root CAUSE of the AI making a bunch of ships. I would think the danger of your fix is there MAY be a point where the AI really should make a stack of ships (like when fighting a major naval war or needing a bunch of ships for a quest even if there doesn't appear to be point to it externally).

Comment

• Oh, I know the cause of it. The AI is set to build ships if it thinks it's under naval threat. It's doing that. The problem is, if the ships it is building are vastly overpowered by the ships it is facing, it won't attack (ie, Triremes vs Privateers). But the function isn't set up to check if its ships are strong enough. So it continues to think it's under naval threat (which it is) and continues to build its inferior ships. This leads to it having way too many ships (40+) when it's only facing 2 or 3.

As I said in another thread, the best way to handle it would be to do a strength assessment of the best ship the AI can build vs the strength of the ships its facing. If its ships are too weak, it skips them. However, I'm unaware of any function that will handle strength comparison. If I can locate one, then I'll make use of it, but for the time being, this way "works", in that it will stop the AI from wasting production on ships it can't (or won't) use.

Bh

Comment

• Maybe the AI in such a case should suicide/SoD attack when it gets a certain number of ships, should sink the problem ships. 5 Triremes should sink a privateer at least.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bhruic
                                Oh, I know the cause of it. The AI is set to build ships if it thinks it's under naval threat. It's doing that. The problem is, if the ships it is building are vastly overpowered by the ships it is facing, it won't attack (ie, Triremes vs Privateers). But the function isn't set up to check if its ships are strong enough. So it continues to think it's under naval threat (which it is) and continues to build its inferior ships. This leads to it having way too many ships (40+) when it's only facing 2 or 3.

As I said in another thread, the best way to handle it would be to do a strength assessment of the best ship the AI can build vs the strength of the ships its facing. If its ships are too weak, it skips them. However, I'm unaware of any function that will handle strength comparison. If I can locate one, then I'll make use of it, but for the time being, this way "works", in that it will stop the AI from wasting production on ships it can't (or won't) use.

Bh
                                So this kludge wouldn't even kick in until it somehow sees that the AI has built several ships it refuses to use? What would happen if its building ships that it COULD use to attack the opposition, would this kludge not stop the ship production?

Comment

Working...
                                X