No announcement yet.

The value of canals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe it's an event. I can let you know next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Kekkonen
      If you build a fort-city-fort canal, does the city count as coastal?
      I would have thought that:

city-fort-fort. would be a better placement.
      "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

A fort has to be next to the water to be a canal.
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

never mind
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kekkonen
            If you build a fort-city-fort canal, does the city count as coastal?
            I tried this with the help of WorldBuilder (as all my Archipelago map cities were coastal but one, which was too far away from water).

Turns out a noncoastal city cannot be entered by ships, even if "linked" to water by a fort.

So you're limited to a canal of two tiles. Well, going across land. You could build a series of forts/cities along the shore - as long as everything is next to a water tile, it works as a canal (within your borders).
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Interestingly enough, a city by a lake (saltwater lake -- didn't enable farms or give the irrigation bonus) that is connected to the ocean by a fort-city canal only counts as 'somewhat coastal'. I had a city by a lake large enough to have a crab tile, and the city could build all the regular coastal-city economic buildings, but no ships apart from a work boat.

Comment

Working...
              X