Classical Era - c 3700 BC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classical Era - c 3700 BC

Isn’t it nice when you get a two generous huts so early in the game. I recall this happening to me once in a simple experimental game when I acquired Bronze Working almost immediately and the next hut gave me Iron Working.

This time I managed to bag Animal Husbandry with an early hut while researching Bronze. The game also was generous in supplying a nearby source of horses. The next hut then popped up Horseback Riding.

Methinks the battle for supremacy on my continent might be a little short

Wow, that would be nice... i have to say free techs from huts are the most imbalanced aspect of the game after catapults (/siege in general). Even one free tech early on can be a huge bonus, if it's the right tech...

I love it when you're researching a tech, 1 turn left, and then you pop the hut, and presto, you get that 1 turn done for you.. sigh ...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I always get stuff like Fishing
      - Dregor

Comment

Originally posted by dregor
        I got that as well

It really was a drag having to research things like Wheel, Agriculture, Pottery and Writing.

Comment

Don't knock fishing! Seafood resources can be a boon to early expansion, and workboats can explore the shoreline for you. Highly underrated tech, fishing.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer

Don't knock fishing! Seafood resources can be a boon to early expansion, and workboats can explore the shoreline for you. Highly underrated tech, fishing.
            It also a fairly cheap tech

Comment

And still a bargain.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I got the ultra early AH/HBR combo from huts last night. I awarded myself victory and retired.

Comment

AH/HBR?

Sorry, I've been away from civ while my house is being painted and recarpeted (I'm on a very old laptop)...

Comment

Wait, Animal Husbandry/Horseback Riding...

Comment

Lucky people. I just had once three techs, but it was an experimental

game, so I quited.

Best regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Pauli
                        I got the ultra early AH/HBR combo from huts last night. I awarded myself victory and retired.
                        I think I prefer the BW/IW free-techs. These are the really useful ones for smashing up rival cities while the AH/HBR line is better for providing auxiliary troops. And stables are expensive things in the early game. For breaking into cities, I’d say

1 Sword (Cost 40) = 1.4 Axemen (Cost 35) = 1.4 Horse Archers (Cost 50) = 2.0 Chariots (Cost 25)

With Axemen and Chariots being roughly equal, in value of hammers, BW generally wins over AH because of the other benefits that the tech unlocks. IW then unlocks Iron, Swords and jungle-chop to HBR’s Horse Archers and Stables and the mounted units also need other techs (Wheel or Archery).

Possibly because I also had a food-rich/low-production start and limited sources of happiness, the armies were not ready until Korea had taken two of the barb cities that were encircling me. So it wasn’t quite the walk-over that I had expected.

Comment

BW also needs Wheel, unless you're very lucky with rivers. It's a stronger tech for sure and you really want it ASAP, but a whipped stables starts to make chariots very interesting for a rush, as CII greatly improves their win chances versus archers.
                          Last edited by Swiss Pauli; July 6, 2007, 09:14.

Comment

The best early game huts I can remember getting = writing and bronzeworking (not in the same game, though!!). I think I may have once gotten HBR, but I'm not sure.

Writing is a great one, as is Bronze. I want both, soon, anyway.

Lately it's been all mysticism or fishing or agriculture. Still nice, but hardly the boost of a writing or BW.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Fishing is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X