Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Can't You Choose Your Starting Units?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankly, I prefer that different civilizations start out with different units. It helps to add flavor to the game. If the choice were up to the player, that would reduce the uniqueness of the various civs.
    "It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange." --Takeshi Kaga

Comment

Starting with a free worker would be the single most useful starting unit I could imagine.

I'm going to add the caveat "plausible." As someone else mentioned, starting with a Tank would be far more useful almost all of the time, but that's kind of silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Underseer
        Frankly, I prefer that different civilizations start out with different units. It helps to add flavor to the game. If the choice were up to the player, that would reduce the uniqueness of the various civs.
        The AI civs could have their flavour from different units while the human player gets a choice.

And I can't see why giving any player who starts with hunting a choice between a warrior and a scout would unbalance the game.

RJM
        Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Who would choose a warrior? See the thread on warrior usefulness.
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
          X