space elevator latitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• space elevator latitude

How can I determine what latitude a city is at in order to plan for where to build the Space Elevator...?

(I just won my first prince game but was almost in trouble for a while when I could not build the elevator in my main production city due to latitude...)
    "Can we get a patch that puts Palin under Quayle?" - Theben

I dunno.

Hope that helps

Naw.. j/k. But seriously, I don't know that there is a way to know exactly what tiles are within the latitude limit. And I only found one thread on the the subject here at the Apolyton forums; but it didn't help either :/

Comment

just try to gauge it, what I do

Comment

Goto the city screen F5, put the cities in descending ranking order for number of hammers. Highlight the first city, put the building screen in Wonder mode and just go down the list until you find the best city that has it available to build.
        Mike

Comment

I think he might want to know in advance. You can't do the queue trick until you research the tech. Knowing in advance allows you to pre-build a coal plant or such.

Easy way: visually divide the map in thirds. The middle third is what you want.

Precise way: do the above, but turn on the grid and actually count the tiles.

Wodan

Comment

Originally posted by mkorin
            Goto the city screen F5, put the cities in descending ranking order for number of hammers. Highlight the first city, put the building screen in Wonder mode and just go down the list until you find the best city that has it available to build.
            Mike
            Unfortunately, that doesn't help when you're trying to decide where to put (for example) your Ironworks, long before you have the option to build the Elevator anywhere.

I usually plan long in advance where to build certain expensive late-game wonders (if I build them at all). If you want the 3GD, you'll need a river, lots of hammer-rich tiles, a city big enough to work those tiles, Forge, Factory, maybe a 1-off Coal Plant, maybe Ironworks. I imagine similar considerations would go into building Elevator.

And it's quite a pisser to have gone to the effort of building/rushing the Factory, Ironworks, etc only to find that the city can't do what you intended it to do.
            "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

Unfortunately, that doesn't help when you're trying to decide where to put (for example) your Ironworks, long before you have the option to build the Elevator anywhere.

I usually plan long in advance where to build certain expensive late-game wonders (if I build them at all). If you want the 3GD, you'll need a river, lots of hammer-rich tiles, a city big enough to work those tiles, Forge, Factory, maybe a 1-off Coal Plant, maybe Ironworks. I imagine similar considerations would go into building Elevator.

And it's quite a pisser to have gone to the effort of building/rushing the Factory, Ironworks, etc only to find that the city can't do what you intended it to do.

You're thinking way too much

I generally put Forges etc in every city, thus I am ready for anything.

I don't get the whole city specialization thing. Also, I don't strain my brain, after all, the idea of a game is to relax.

And, yes, I win on Prince 85% of the time

Comment

^^^ Agreed! No sympathy for the meta-gamers.... not like the people founding a city in 1300AD said to themselves, "Hmm, we'd better found this city a few miles to the south, so that we can build a space elevator 1,000 years from now..."

"The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Sure, you should have founded it much earlier.

Best regards,

Comment

It's roughly the middle third of the map.

Comment

Thanks to those who replied constructively... to each and every one their playing style, is what I say...

Comment

Originally posted by jkp1187
                        ^^^ Agreed! No sympathy for the meta-gamers.... not like the people founding a city in 1300AD said to themselves, "Hmm, we'd better found this city a few miles to the south, so that we can build a space elevator 1,000 years from now..."

You're telling me that's not why egypt was founded in the middle of a desert?

Comment

Egypt wasn't founded in the middle of a desert! It was founded in one of the richest river valleys in the world -- the Nile.

Besides, the Sahara desert is much larger than it used to be. Was it always a desert at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                            Egypt wasn't founded in the middle of a desert! It was founded in one of the richest river valleys in the world -- the Nile.

Besides, the Sahara desert is much larger than it used to be. Was it always a desert at all?
                            I know, it was a joke

Comment

Did I miss something? Did someone actually "found" Egypt?

Comment

Working...
                              X