The Holy Roman Empire? Seriously?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alexander I
    Even "King of the Germans" or "King of Germany." That's a bit of a shock to people who insist there was no Germany prior to 1871.
    Well, there can be Germans without there being a Germany.
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus

However, you are right that they weren't a civilization, they were a state (of the German civilization).
      A loose empire I would say that included dozens of stronger and weaker states that their leaders supposed to owe allegiance to the emperor. In some periods the emperor had true power and successfully controlled most of the land but in other periods the emperor had no true power.

Comment

• Overall concerning the HRE: Boo!!

It will just lead to civ-spam.

I'm not buying BtS if they're not allowing us to exclude civs/leaders we don't like in the custom game screen (otherwise I like to have random settings, I just don't want a game with two Germany’s).

I don't want to edit the XML for this because of principal.
        I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

• Originally posted by _BuRjaCi_
          I just don't want a game with two Germany’s).
          Ooh! I like the idea of 2 or more nations with similar cultures as it fits in well historically.

Europe 1512 had these competing nation-states, all closely related via their Germanic language/culture: Bavaria, Austria, Saxony, Bavaria and Bohemia (to name the biggies of the time). By 1812, these guys are still the big players having gobbled up their lesser kindred. Prussia emerges as a big boy in this time too.

Comment

I just don't want a game with two Germany’s.
            Understandable.

/me runs.

Comment

I'm not buying BtS if they're not allowing us to exclude civs/leaders we don't like in the custom game screen (otherwise I like to have random settings, I just don't want a game with two Germany’s).

I don't want to edit the XML for this because of principal.
              I'm also not a big fan of XML-editing, but sometimes (in case of the HRE) it has to be done. I simply don't want to do without all the other BtS features.
              "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

I just don't want a game with two Germany’s).
                I was going to suggest splitting Germany up into East Germany and West Germany in teh next expansion

BTW, I got this as the "Something to think about as you wait" message once:

BREAKING NEWS: The East German pole vault champion is now the West German pole vault champion.
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

• I'm an idiot! How could I forget that there was an East and West Germany...

Comment

• I like that quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by AEdwild

Ooh! I like the idea of 2 or more nations with similar cultures as it fits in well historically.

Europe 1512 had these competing nation-states, all closely related via their Germanic language/culture: Bavaria, Austria, Saxony, Bavaria and Bohemia (to name the biggies of the time). By 1812, these guys are still the big players having gobbled up their lesser kindred. Prussia emerges as a big boy in this time too.
                      Yes, but the game is called Civilization not CountrySim. If we included all the states some nations had as separate civs... Just think of the headache of balancing them all and the utter lack of variety.

If we are going this way what’s to stop them from adding the Kievan Rus' or the Danes or the Roman republic or the Paris commune or the Confederacy or the Soviet Union or England under Oliver Cromwell as separate civs?

The HRE is a disturbing precedent much more so than the Native Americans.
                      I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

Working...
                      X