No announcement yet.

Features Still Lacking in Civ4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it silly, that Open Borders give a blanket right of passage through my whole domain, instead of some predetermined narrow strip of land. And, that I can only have one type of right of passage. Military Access, which could be suspended for duration of war, against civilian access, ie, missionaries. It bugs me, that AI often says "I could not betray my closest friends!", when those friends are raping and pillaging my kingdom, and our relations are as good... And that threeway diplomacy mostly consists of threats, stop trading, or... No incentive other that continued absence of violence.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio

I completely agree. It feels stupid when you work your a** off to get a peaceful victory and you get a lousy score at the bottom on the hall of fame, while with little effort you can easily get a great score by warmongering.

The score should be based on which victory you win, not by how large your nation is when you win

Here's a quick unfinished idea on how the score should be:

Cultural victory:
      Score should be based on the average culture per city (having small less cultured cities will hurt your score)
      Each wonder also gives you extra score
      You will also get a score bonus if you are the first civ to invent certain culture techs (like music)

Space race victory:
      Score should be based on how technology advanced you are and where. Each time a civ gets to a new age ( --> industrial --> modern) that civ gets a bonus score based on how fast he got to that age compared to the other ages (like if he is the first he gets a huge bonus score, while if he is last he doesn't get any extra points. This should be compared to how many civs there are in the game at that time: Being #4 out of 5 gives you a lousy bonus, while being #4 out of 18 gives you a great bonus

Diplomacy victory:
      Here you need friends to get a good score. For each % of the competition who are friendly towards you gives you a huge score, cautious gives you a smaller score while them being angry at you gives you no extra points. And here it is the same way as with the space race: If 2 out of 4 are friendly with you, that will give you a higher score than if 2 out of 18 are friendly with you
      You get negative score if you have any vassals or if you took the last city of an enemy (by force)

Conquest victory:
      Here your score will be based on your history: The more civs you completely destroyed (by taking the last enemy city by force), the higher your score. Having vassals also gives you an extra score (not as much if you had destroyed them completely though)

You still get a small bonus by having a large civ, etc (you know, the things that all score is based on at the moment), but not even near as much as you currently get.
      The extra score you get from how fast you win also depends on which victory you get. Since it's much easier to win a conquest victory by 1500 A.D. than winning a space race victory by that date, the extra time score for conquest should be much lower than the one for space race

* Adagio wonders why he actually write this, it's not like anybody reads it anyway
      Excellent suggestions.
      Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Controlled exploration, knowing your whole continent inside out is not something that should be achievable before 1000 AD really.

Exploration should be linked to the search for trading partners, not targets for conquest.

Culture should respect physical barriers and contact - my cultural progress across the landscape should be blocked by mountains but accelerated by roads, trade routes and rivers.

The peaceful side of the game is limited to an infrastructure race.
        www.neo-geo.com

Comment

What do I think is lacking/needs fixing in Civ4?

The corruption system needs to be completely overhauled. plainly put, i want my early-game REX/ICS strategy back!

that was the backbone of my game in civ3... and when they implemented this terrible corruption model, it crippled my style to the point im STILL trying to figure out what to do about it. Funny how the computer/AI is able to figure out some loophole around it...

I am also tired of ending wars because i cannot afford to conquer any more cities. i think this is incredibly lame, and needs fixing ASAP!
          piece
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

AAHZ, that is gross! If you are so inflexible with your playstyle, go back to Civ3. Looks like you are a lousy financial manager.

I play with just Noble difficulty, but I have INCREASED the limit on the cost of cities (iMaxNumCitiesMaintenance in Civ4HandicapInfo.xml) to 10 -- higher than at diety level.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
              I play with just Noble difficulty, but I have INCREASED the limit on the cost of cities (iMaxNumCitiesMaintenance in Civ4HandicapInfo.xml) to 10 -- higher than at diety level.
              I play at Prince... and have not tampered with the 'City Maintenance Formula'
              i dont cheat
              piece
              Order of the Fly

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ

I play at Prince... and have not tampered with the 'City Maintenance Formula'
                i dont cheat
                piece
                how is it cheating by making the game more difficult at the lower difficulty level?

edit: and it's "Peace," as in peace, love, and understanding. not "piece," i'll have a piece of the chocolate cake.
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by self biased
                  edit: and it's "Peace," as in peace, love, and understanding. not "piece," i'll have a piece of the chocolate cake.
                  congrats... you are the 25th person to tell me that
                  PIECE

EDIT- and i admit i misread Jaybe's post
                  Order of the Fly

Comment

It's quite alright, AAHZ. I figured you were referring to any changes to xml files at all was cheating -- and it IS true the change I referred to isn't the ONLY one I have made.

Comment

Maybe these features could go into ciV. Add to the list.

Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy-O
                        Maybe these features could go into ciV. Add to the list.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...69#post4869869
                        Hmmm, I thought the pathetic cIV tradition might change with Civ V, but it seems ****ers will perpetually continue with their foolishness.

It takes you way more time to type out 'ci [ b ] V [ / b ]' than to type out Civ V ****!
                        Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Now that's not nice. Besides ciV is still quicker to type than Civilization V.

So many of these suggestions are good ones but would require a complete rework of the game to the point that is would in effect be ci_V_ilization.
                          Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

CiV doesn't worry me nearly as much as CiVI. Ugh.
                            The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                            "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                            "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                            The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Just wait until CiVIl . Ugh is right.

Comment

Working...
                              X