No announcement yet.

I Hate Existence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ones that irritate me the most, I think, are the ~96+ % odds battles I've lost with Warlord units. That's happened to me two or three times. It's entirely fair, mind you, but irritating nonetheless, 'cause then I have to go and blow another GG as a warlord to get enough promotions on a unit to enable West Point...

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I thought I had found that your XP-qualifying unit no longer has to survive to be able to build West Point/Heroic Epic.

Just in my last marathon game I lost TWO warlord units to 93+% battles. One was a 99% (gunship's second warlord battle, promoted for blitz). That "blitz" really fizzled!
      Turned out I didn't even need that war for the win -- just had to wait for more recently-captured cities to expand their borders.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
        I thought I had found that your XP-qualifying unit no longer has to survive to be able to build West Point/Heroic Epic.
        That's right. All you need to do is create one level six unit to be eligible for West Point, it doesn't matter if he's still around when it comes time to build it. I personaly don't bother with Warlords, I just create the first one for the West Point ability, then turn all the rest into either military advisors or academies. Chances are the warlord isn't going to survive very long anyway, so it seems like a waste of a Great General. I've lost warlords on the very first attack, but an advisor/academy will be around for the entire game.

Comment

I'll use 2 or 3 GGs for academies/advisors, but using the GG as a Warlord is so much more fun!

Comment

swordsmen can't defeate longbowmen. case closed.

Comment

I have a theory about the odds and random numbers. I felt it was this way in civ3 as well.

When you are better prepared and have more numbers, the numbers seem to go your way. When you are trying to take a city with insuffcient numbers and are hopen the numbers will go your way, they never do.

more troops=better chance at winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                I have a theory about the odds and random numbers. I felt it was this way in civ3 as well.

When you are better prepared and have more numbers, the numbers seem to go your way. When you are trying to take a city with insuffcient numbers and are hopen the numbers will go your way, they never do.

more troops=better chance at winning.
                Except when you have everything riding on your victory. If you need your huge army for another campaign on a 2nd enemy, they'll all be slaughtered before the walls of your 1st enemy's weakest city.

I kid you not, I've lost fights where I've already reduced the defenses to 0 and the chance of my success is 99%!
                The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

that's part of my theory. When you need to win the most, you don't. when you have more than enough troops and it doesn't matter if you win or not, you always win.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                    that's part of my theory. When you need to win the most, you don't. when you have more than enough troops and it doesn't matter if you win or not, you always win.
                    I guess I see your point. It seems to me that I only lose when I care about winning.
                    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

These are the posts that keep the State of Nevada solvent. We thank you.
                      "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
                      "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
                      "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by CarnalCanaan
                        These are the posts that keep the State of Nevada solvent. We thank you.
                        True that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe

Just in my last marathon game I lost TWO warlord units to 93+% battles. One was a 99% (gunship's second warlord battle, promoted for blitz). That "blitz" really fizzled!
                          Turned out I didn't even need that war for the win -- just had to wait for more recently-captured cities to expand their borders.
                          Really? I just assumed... silly me.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                            Really? I just assumed... silly me.
                            Another legacy belief from Civ3 bites the dust.

Comment

I could have swore I read that he has to survive. I sometimes keep him behind the front lines to "protect" him. I usually only use him for mop up duty.

Comment

if i was more aggressive i wouldnt worry at all about this crap... since im usually ALWAYS undermanned and i lose battles i understand where bleeka is coming from... screw it, im just going to wipe out everyone
                                Order of the Fly
                                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                                X