Being and Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being and Time

How have the ideological premises changed in Civ over the years? Which are in civ currently? Here are some ideas:

-Nation-state is still the only possible form of government,
    -Global coexistence is a matter of wining or loosing,
    -A people are defined at the beginning of time only assimilation or destruction is possible nothing new can arise,
    -Global warming is only caused by nukes (stupidity)
    -there isn’t any racism like C3 (which is a good thing) , leaders define the character of the nation,

-all men are created equally except great people-supermen (reading up on Nietzsche are you? , but seriously the implication of this is that education and health care are pointless since either you are a GP or a drone there is no middle ground),

-leaders are immortal (leader-cult),

-religion is the opium of the people (since it only helps with happiness, culture and helps governing them),

-people are only born to pay taxes and die for glory.

This is a silly thread so put on you’re tin foil hats and think paranoid and outlandish. Remember this is the internet, make sure Big Brother doesn’t get too upset.
    Last edited by _BuRjaCi_; March 8, 2007, 07:31.
    I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

As long as this isn't another "nation painting" thread...
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
      We both now its too late for that.

EDIT: How can you still remember that? I'm not that important (or important at all). Pointles and sutpid threads are started all the time and just as quickly forgotten. Why are you pointing mine out.
      I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

Nobody will ever forget that one
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Nobody will ever forget that one
          Yes, yes drunken rants are a thing of legend I get that.
          I suppose this thread will soon join the Halls of Shame.
          Last edited by _BuRjaCi_; March 2, 2007, 05:05.

Comment

i approve this thread
            Order of the Fly
            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

nation painting? link please.

Comment

Re: Ideological premises in cIV

How have the ideological premises changed in Civ over the years? Which are in civ currently? Here are some ideas:

-Nation-state is still the only possible for of government

I always thought it was more of a city state.

loosing or losing? You can come in the middle if you like, and be happy you weren't last place in score. Perhaps we need a happiness win. We may be dirt poor, and have no military power, but our citizens are having amazing sex.

-A people are defined at the beginning of time only assimilation or destruction is possible nothing new can arise,

enlightenment occurs with civics such as environmentalism.

nukes should cause contamimation. I hated pollution in civ2 and civ3. But this is one place where tiles should become polluted. Global warming should be caused by overpopulation and too many coal plants.

-there isn’t any racism , leaders define the character of the nation,
                -all men are created equally except great people-supermen (reading up on Nietzsche are you? ),

racism would not be a nice thing to put in civ games. Should we define civs by their skin color? I think not.

immortal and proud of it.

-religion is the opium of the people (since it only helps with happiness, culture and helps governing them),

no complaints. I love my free religion civic. You can do whatever the hell you want, just leave my scientific research alone.

is there any other reason to live?

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

nation painting? link please.
                  Here.

Comment

Here.
                    I'd rather you be put on my ignore list.

I can't believe I clicked that link before checking it first. You'd think I'd learn my lesson.

Comment

Here.
                      Another visit from the King of , eh?

But seriously...

-Nation-state is still the only possible for of government

Civics provide a little more diversity than before. Use your imagination.

Not really. At least I've never felt that way. I play for fun, winning is an occasional pleasant side effect.

Well, I do think there's room for civ breakoffs. However, I have no idea how they would introduce such a scheme.

Well, there should be SOME form of nuclear contamination. I prefer thinking of it as "Fallout" rather than "global warming"

-there isn’t any racism , leaders define the character of the nation,

Fine with me, as long as there are enough leaders to show the different facets of a society's psyche. Current problems: Spain, Japan, Greece, Persia (Bring on 2nd Leaders for them!)

-all men are created equally except great people-supermen (reading up on Nietzsche are you? ),

What would you have them do? It's really about the civilization collectively rather than each individual. If you want a game based on individual achievements, play an RPG.

Well, it would require more animated leaderheads for a progression in Civ. Try the Total War franchise.

Well, they're saying religion is generally a positive influence in the world. Generally (sans Jihads/Crusades, persecution, etc.). Any other position would result in loads o' lawsuits. I for one hope Civ lives forever.

Again, it's about the group, not the man.

That being said, I'm glad you're thinking about these issues. Lack of thinking results in stagnation. Innovation is great, as long as it doesn't break the game (eg. C3C).
                      The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                      "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                      "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                      The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

I really didn’t mean to propose changes to the game. I just wanted to know into what I have been brainwashed into believing after thousands of hours of game play.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01

Well, there should be SOME form of nuclear contamination. I prefer thinking of it as "Fallout" rather than "global warming"

Current problems: Spain, Japan, Greece, Persia (Bring on 2nd Leaders for them!)
                          I second both motions.

Comment

Re: Ideological premises in cIV

Originally posted by _BuRjaCi_

-Nation-state is still the only possible for of government,
                            -there isn’t any racism like C3 (which is a good thing) , leaders define the character of the nation,

-all men are created equally except great people-supermen (reading up on Nietzsche are you? , but seriously the implication of this is that education and health care are pointless since either you are a GP or a drone there is no middle ground),

This is a silly thread so put on you’re tin foil hats and think paranoid and outlandish. Remember this is the internet, make sure Big Brother doesn’t get too upset.
                            When is this assignment due?
                            This thread smacks of the accumulation of an overabundance of college credit hours by the original poster.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01

Fine with me, as long as there are enough leaders to show the different facets of a society's psyche. Current problems: Spain, Japan, Greece, Persia (Bring on 2nd Leaders for them!)

That being said, I'm glad you're thinking about these issues. Lack of thinking results in stagnation. Innovation is great, as long as it doesn't break the game (eg. C3C).
                              first part: yes, yes, yes, yes!

Back on topic - second part: I agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X