No announcement yet.

Help - Uninstall a partially loaded game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No problem with the reg clean up... Solver was very helpful there. as far as a complete reinstall of windows... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA... I don't think my IT department will go for that idea, because of all the other stuff they would have add after doing so.

A real weird problem... We have a hard core gamer on our IT staff. I'll see what he can do when I get back in the office.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Actually, reinstalling Windows doesn't mean you have to add anything afterwards. You don't have to wipe your drive clean to just reinstall Windows. Then again, it tends to be not as effective as a clean reinstall (where you DO wipe everything out).
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

You could always try www.direct2drive.com and get a non-cd copy ...
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Hmm - so even after the reg clean up, you still can't re-install?

Things just got a whole lot weirder.

Asmodean
          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Oh... I can do a reinstall... but it stops at the same place. Normally, you put the second disc in, and the process continues automatically. For me, this is where it stops.
            Keep on Civin'

Comment

Have you tried copying the discs to your hard drive, and installing from there?

Asmodean
              Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Yeah... and many other "copying" tricks... none of which have worked. While it looks like all the files are in place, the game won't start. sigh... any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Hopefully my IT guy can look at it today and see if it might be a permission based problem since this is a work computer.
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

I again suggest www.direct2drive.com ...

Though it may well be permissions related, if the disc isn't the issue (and there's room on the HDD etc.) it's possible something early on the second disc is supposed to go to a protected directory.

Comment

When you say 'locks', what do you mean exactly?

1. Program stops, can't change anything (click etc.), but Windows still is okay
                    2. Program freezes inputs, effectively freezing Windows (unable to alt-tab out or whatnot)
                    3. BSOD
                    4. CTD

Also, does it attempt to read the 2nd disc? Does it continue making reading noises after you hit 'okay' or whatever?

Could you try another CD drive if you have an external available to you?

Comment

Actually this happened to me very recently (although not with civ4) and I ended up having to go through the registry to remove the right parts. I was then able to reinstall...
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                      X