Worker annoyance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worker annoyance

Workers have come a long way since the original Civ4 vanilla game was released, but there still are things that could, and should be fixed or modified, IMHO.

I like to use the automated "build-roads" option once I'm done developing the fat cross squares in my cities - it's a good feature because it also atomatically hooks up new resources that may become available with cultural border expansion.

But there are a few things I'd like to see ironed out in this option:

1 - I don't want my fully developed town to be automatically replaced with a uranium mine in late game, should I find uranium on the square with the town, so I use the "workers leave old improvements" option. However, this means that workers will also leave old improvements that are outside any city's fat cross - if I gain territory from a developed opponent city's fat cross, and discover, say coal on a hill with a windmill, my worker won't automatically replace it with a mine. So the option should be "workers leave old improvements within city radius".

2 - Automated workers apparently consider "city ruins" an improvement, and won't touch it when a resource is discovered on the square.

3 - In the late game, if you've got a gazillion workers twidling their thumbs in cities (automated with the "build roads" option), and a new undeveloped resource becomes available through cultural border expansion, OR a spy destroys an existing mine/oil well, ONLY ONE worker rushes out to hook, or re-hook the resource up, while the others continue to twiddle their thumbs. If a worker is idle, and there is a resource out there waiting to be hooked up, then it shouldn't matter that it's already being worked on by one, two, or more workers - GO AND HELP OUT!

Hoping to see these things addressed in the next patch or expansion pack.
    Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Try Blake's AI mod.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Yes, he's done wonders for the Worker routines. One of my favourites is a Worker will no longer stop what's it doing if a Barb passes by your borders when you have the Great Wall. And yes, in his package Workers will replace city ruins.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to try it out!

And that thing with workers not taking the great wall into account was another annoyance that I forgot to include in that post.
        Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

Working...
        X