Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone ever make Nuclear Power Plants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, he and I appear to be using the same stock avatar.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Likely story.

Comment

If a nuclear plant supplied power to more than one city, say 3-4, then it would be worthwhile. Nuclear power plants provide baseline power at very efficient levels for large areas, so that should be there use in the game. Then it would be worthwhile.

BTW Global Warming is a fact, the earth is getting warmer. The contribution of mankind and his devices to it is a theory along with what can be done about it. These terms are switched all the time to the detriment of the general public in understanding these issues. They are deliberately switched to cloud the scientific understanding of climate change and delay action on the issue by several groups underwritten by those with a vested interest, like ExxonMobil, although they have switched thier positon publically and stopped financing the groups.

As a side note, some of those groups offered up to $10,000.00 for papers against global warming. A friend of mine did such a paper, although he did not believe in their cause, and submitted to the various groups and made $37,500.00

Comment

And then they torched the losing suggestions in a huge bonfire.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

bah global warming = anthropogenic global warming these days, theres no sense in adding the anthropogenic to the front because its assumed that all global warming = human caused automatically.

Its nice that you still separate the two, i agree with you fully, its just been made unnecessary by the globalwarmers.

But its unfair to suggest that the only people to get money for writing papers are anti-gw people getting paid by oil companies. The pro-gw people have hijacked an entire field.

Try getting a federal grant for your research as a gw skeptic. you won't tend to get the grant. Everything must be linked to global warming or you don't get paid, and you can't pay your graduate students.

Comment

One of the big grudges I have with the devs is that they didn't turn meltdowns into events where the player can actually do something.

As they are they are game breaking and unfun.
              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

If I have health Poblems and no hydro, I go nuclear. Only cowards are afraid of a little meltdown.

Comment

Never made one. Very few games go that far for me.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Rah, take it you're not one for Space Race victories in SP?
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                      As they are they are game breaking and unfun.
                      And people wonder why there are no cataclsymic events in the game.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben

And people wonder why there are no cataclsymic events in the game.

Oh come on, as it is currently it is much much more unfun than any bad event. I mean with a bad event you have a choice on what to do, a nuclear meltdown is just silly slap in the face that has little to do with player actions.

Turning this into an event with actuall choices would be a vast improvment. I have no idea why they didn't do this.

I personally think that this was done to push a political agenda, since there the only function of civ 4 nuclear power plants is a "nukes are bad m'kay" lesson, they have 0 strategic value and are arguably the weakest building which is totally unrealistic.
                        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
                          Rah, take it you're not one for Space Race victories in SP?
                          Espionage has taken a lot of fun out of the space race. But then I never was a big space race fan and usually have dominated well before any one researches more than a few of the techs needed.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

seems that the global warming effects of meltdowns and nuclear strikes should gradually stop, but doesn't seem to. pollution should contribute more to global warming than nukes. my problem is that there seems no way to counteract global warming. i have built forest reserves, cleaned up fallout, got off coal, built recycling centers in every city, replaced all mines that have no bonuses with windmills, quit mining copper as i have iron and aluminum, i don't need copper...but global warming is destroying my game, practically the whole world is desert and starving to death. Someone should make a patch that has pollution cause global warming more so than nuclear power and also make it combatable
                            Last edited by Caesar_IV; December 9, 2008, 13:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar_IV
                              ...i have built forest reserves, cleaned up fallout, got off coal, built recycling centers in every city, replaced all mines that have no bonuses with windmills, quit mining copper as i have iron and aluminum, i don't need copper...but global warming is destroying my game, practically the whole world is desert and starving to death.
                              I can't help but point out that this may be the most realistic game mechanic ever. No matter what we do to combat the spectre of global warming, the end will *always* be nigh.

I find it really funny that all those things you did don't slow down its progression, i just imagine being told that the progression hasn't slowed down after spending trillions of dollars on the fight

Comment

I must be a chicken because I rarely build Nuclear Power Plants.

Welcome to Apolyton FryTheTerrible.
                                And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Working...
                                X