What about Civ4 for Nintendo DS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dis
    the obvious question why would we buy the game for Ninento when we already have the PC version?
    Civ on the loo, civ in a bus, civ while making out! I wish I could have rhymed that.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I have Age of Empires for the DS and it's been making me pine for a civ game on there...

It works really well - kind of odd, but it's easier to play with the D-pad than the stylus....

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun

Civ on the loo, civ in a bus, civ while making out! I wish I could have rhymed that.
        If you are going to start out with a usage like "loo", then it could possibly be....

Civ on the loo,
        Civ in a lorry,
        Civ while hanging out,
        You never have to worry.

I changed making out to hanging out because, even though it is heretical to say it in these forums, even though my kids think me ancient, making out is still more important than Civ.
        Last edited by eris; December 19, 2006, 16:21.
        If you aren't confused,
        You don't understand.

Comment

Actually, this could finally convince me to get a DS. Firaxis, make it so

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            Actually, this could finally convince me to get a DS. Firaxis, make it so
            If you havent played previous Advance Wars before, i'd say it was worth it already for any TBS fan.
            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
            CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
            One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Re: What about Civ4 for Nintendo DS?

Originally posted by OliverFA
              I have learned that there is a version of Age of Empires II for Nintendo DS in the works. Also, it seems that Advanced Wars is selling pretty well. The Nintendo DS catalogue is being filled with lots of "intelligence" games. So... why not Civ 4?

Of course, the graphic engine would need to be made simpler, but the DS interface can work in a way that is very similar to how the PC mouse works. If a DS version of Civ was made, we could enjoy it anywhere. I think it would be great news!
              Why not just suggest running a full size Jaguar on a Hot Wheels track? Infidel! You'll burn for that!
              "It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange." --Takeshi Kaga

Comment

Re: Re: What about Civ4 for Nintendo DS?

Originally posted by Underseer

Why not just suggest running a full size Jaguar on a Hot Wheels track? Infidel! You'll burn for that!
                Well... for starters, other than the insane price, I don't see quite much difference between a Jaguar and a Ford or a Jaguar and a Renault. But that's a different subject.

The reason is quite simple. Nintendo DS is the first portable console to have a control system that allows this kind of games to be played. The touch screen makes easier and simple to feature games that were limited to computers with mouse until now.

Graphically and technically speaking, a Civ version for Nintendo DS would probably be not as good as Civ4 is. But it would certainly be better than Civ1 and even Civ2. You would giving something to get something else return. In exchange for a "simpler" game you get a version of Civ you can carry with you anywhere. The metro, the bus, the train... Isn't it appealing? For me it is. Look at "Advance Wars DS" selling figures to get convinced that there is a potential market for this kind of games.
                "Never trust a man who puts your profit before his own profit." - Grand Nagus Zek, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, episode 11
                "A communist is someone who has read Marx and Lenin. An anticommunist is someone who has understood Marx and Lenin." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Comment

If we are just changing it to 2d I really don't see the difference between what the civ4 version of DS would be and what the civ3 version of DS would be.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: What about Civ4 for Nintendo DS?

Originally posted by OliverFA

Well... for starters, other than the insane price, I don't see quite much difference between a Jaguar and a Ford or a Jaguar and a Renault. But that's a different subject.

The reason is quite simple. Nintendo DS is the first portable console to have a control system that allows this kind of games to be played. The touch screen makes easier and simple to feature games that were limited to computers with mouse until now.

Graphically and technically speaking, a Civ version for Nintendo DS would probably be not as good as Civ4 is. But it would certainly be better than Civ1 and even Civ2. You would giving something to get something else return. In exchange for a "simpler" game you get a version of Civ you can carry with you anywhere. The metro, the bus, the train... Isn't it appealing? For me it is. Look at "Advance Wars DS" selling figures to get convinced that there is a potential market for this kind of games.
                    It's not just a matter of graphics. Civilization is a resource-hungry monster and squeezing it down to a handheld would require far too many compromises. The game would cease to be Civ at all, hence my comment.
                    "It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange." --Takeshi Kaga

Comment

Real games are played on a real computer...enough said.

Asmodean
                      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by eris

If you are going to start out with a usage like "loo", then it could possibly be....

Civ on the loo,
                        Civ in a lorry,
                        Civ while hanging out,
                        You never have to worry.

I changed making out to hanging out because, even though it is heretical to say it in these forums, even though my kids think me ancient, making out is still more important than Civ.
                        Lorry? Oh, that is your absurd word for 'truck'.

Civ in the toilet
                        Civ in the truck
                        Civ with a sextuplet
                        And Civ when you ....
                        Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Civ on the pot
                          Civ on the john
                          Civ on the crapper
                          Civ all day long
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean
                            Real games are played on a real computer...enough said.

Asmodean
                            Right on.

Comment

Why not just pick up a laptop? You can get a refurb with a decent grpahics card for maybe US$500?
                              Got my new computer!!!!

Comment

Because a laptop is a lot more big and more inconvenient to carry away.

However, I have to confess that I have Civ4 (and Civ3 before than that ) installed in my company laptop. (sssssh! don't tell anyone! ) and play it sometimes when I have to travel for work reasons at the plane or the hotel room.

That was what made me think about the convenience of having a mobile version of Civ for an easily portable device such as the DS or even a smartphone. But being realistic, the only portable devices powerful enough to handle such game are the DS or the PSP.
                                "Never trust a man who puts your profit before his own profit." - Grand Nagus Zek, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, episode 11
                                "A communist is someone who has read Marx and Lenin. An anticommunist is someone who has understood Marx and Lenin." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Comment

Working...
                                X