What about Civ4 for Nintendo DS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about Civ4 for Nintendo DS?

I have learned that there is a version of Age of Empires II for Nintendo DS in the works. Also, it seems that Advanced Wars is selling pretty well. The Nintendo DS catalogue is being filled with lots of "intelligence" games. So... why not Civ 4?

Of course, the graphic engine would need to be made simpler, but the DS interface can work in a way that is very similar to how the PC mouse works. If a DS version of Civ was made, we could enjoy it anywhere. I think it would be great news!
    "Never trust a man who puts your profit before his own profit." - Grand Nagus Zek, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, episode 11
    "A communist is someone who has read Marx and Lenin. An anticommunist is someone who has understood Marx and Lenin." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

make it a poll

and dont forget the banana option
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

No!

I got Age of Empies for DS. It looked good at first, but you are limited to 4 town centers, 4 buildings per town center, 1 castle for every town center, and 20 units (number much at the beginning of the game). You can't win through numbers since all sides are keeping there army as large as possible. Therefore, you must win through have more advanced troops, or (more commonly) with a better combination of troops. A good civ game can't be made with these limitations.
      USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
      The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
        make it a poll

and dont forget the banana option
        I did it. Thanks for the suggestion
        "Never trust a man who puts your profit before his own profit." - Grand Nagus Zek, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, episode 11
        "A communist is someone who has read Marx and Lenin. An anticommunist is someone who has understood Marx and Lenin." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Comment

You probably couldn't handle larger maps on the DS (and of course the graphics wouldn't be as nice, meh).

Comment

2D game with Civ4 mechanics should work, if done well.
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

It would be lame. Just enjoy Advance Wars which is superb.
              Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Such negative people...
                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Id certainly play a Civ4 DS game in the AW mould. Diplomacy, research etc would have to be fairly limited but it could work.
                  Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                  CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                  One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                    2D game with Civ4 mechanics should work, if done well.
                    Yes, accepting some limits (small map only, few civ in game, cutted version of civilopedia, a re-balancing effort, some A.I. tunes, a different interface to manage two separated screen.

The problem is if such a reduced game will still be "Civilization", or at least playable, and a game good enough to sell at DS players.

My word? Give designers a chance, and let us see a prototype. I'll keep ready some money to gift the game to my children, just in case, but waiting till Christmas 2008, I'm afraid.
                    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

the obvious question why would we buy the game for Ninento when we already have the PC version?

Comment

I think this idea is impossible.

Even om small maps the number of units in civ IV is huge when aproaching endgame. DS won´t be able to handle this when it has to be able to deal with everything else in the game as well at the same time. Even if removing stuff from the game, I just don´t think it can be made. Some sort of unit limitation has to be put in place.
                        GOWIEHOWIE! Uh...does that
                        even mean anything?

Comment

They made Civ2 for playstation so why not?
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                            the obvious question why would we buy the game for Ninento when we already have the PC version?
                            Because this would be portable.

Comment

Originally posted by Saurus
                              I think this idea is impossible.

Even om small maps the number of units in civ IV is huge when aproaching endgame. DS won´t be able to handle this when it has to be able to deal with everything else in the game as well at the same time. Even if removing stuff from the game, I just don´t think it can be made. Some sort of unit limitation has to be put in place.
                              Theres a unit limitation in Advance Wars DS of 50 per side, and you rarely reach this, even on the largest maps (unless youre being ultra-defensive and saving units). Its just a matter of balance, unit cost etc.
                              Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                              CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                              One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Working...
                              X