• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mass cannons win.

A cannon with barrage II (strength 12/18) against a strength 26 defender:

Cannon damage/hitratio: 13/0.46
    Cannon barrage/chance: 16/41%
    Defender damage: 29

Tank takes 4 hits to kill Cannon, so the Cannon gets 1.85 hits on average per attack, doing an average of 24 damage total on a 100% health tank.

The 7ish collateral damage attacks hit an average of 2.86 times for a grand total average damage of 45 per attack.

So each suicide cannon (of with 1/4 survive) does a grand total average damage of 69 damage per attack against undamaged tank-strength targets.

The Cannon costs 100 production.
    The Tank costs 180 production.

Sure, the tank has 28 strength and can have combat promotions. But after a beating by a bunch of Cannons, most of the tanks will have less than full strength.

In essence, build 50% more Cannons than the enemy stack size, then blast the stack into death. You end up with a dead attacking stack, and over 1/4 of your Cannons will survive.

You need to do this out of a city with mass defending riflemen, to force the attacker to pause.

Note that artillery may end up being a large problem after you have beaten the stack down a bit. Artillery is immune to collateral damage, so your cannons side effect damage won't weaken them. Luckily Artillery is weak enough that your cossacks stand a chance against them, strait-up.

Comment

Whip cannons, kill invaders. Sue for peace.
      That does sound like the best bet. Of course, even if you survive and make peace, you're still in quite a hole...

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

You shall fight on the beaches, you shall fight on the landing grounds, you shall fight in the fields and in the streets, you shall fight in the hills; you shall never surrender!

And ass-kissing is for wimps. I may get wiped out in the middle ages, but newer will I bow to tyranny that's not my own.
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Start a new game. Learn from your mistakes and attack early!

Don't let Financial civs have a free run, especially not the Incans. When they are located next to you, they should be eliminated first.

I always attack Incans in my games as early as possible.

Comment

just a bad position to be in. Both the Aztecs and Incas are troublemakers. Incas are dangerous because they are financial and can research very well. But they can be aggressive as well, and attack you without warning. Aztecs, we all know about them. It sucks having both of them on your continent and close.

If they aren't close, perhaps you have a chance. As they won't send quite as many units over. And if you have enough riflemen, you can damage most of their tanks. But it's a longshot. And it will put you further behind.

Comment

A word about Aztecs: they can be one of the best allies in the game, if you share their religion and feed them with techs periodically. Nothing is more cute in Civ IV than setting Monty loose on his unsuspecting neighbors.

Comment

never happened to me, but I'd love to set Monty loose on someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by One_more_turn

Don't let Financial civs have a free run, especially not the Incans. When they are located next to you, they should be eliminated first.
                  Is this because the commerce bonus gives them the extra research?

Comment

Yes. Given enough time, just about every square that generates commerce will generate a bonus point of commerce for a Financial civilization. You let them grow big enough and that's a LOT of bonus added in.
                    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

If a financial civ has 10 cities, it will most likely generate 100+ extra gold after 1000AD.

Comment

Working...
                      X