Something I need a little help with.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopy369

Um, no, wrong. It's admittedly harder to defend yourself in the late middle ages than in the early game, but just wait for Tanks... that's worse.

Catapults are still useful here! They may die, but they'll take off hitpoints. And, the late middle ages are easier to plan for: Pikes, crossbows, and Macemen. That's all you need. Crossbows to counter the opposing macemen, which they do well (Especially if protective ), pikes to counter knights if they show up, and Macemen to pick off weaker units.

Now, you're not going to want to launch a major counteroffensive in your territory, as the counters are really effective in this era - but if the AI stack has a weakness, exploit it! Other than that, just make sure you have City Garrison Crossbowmen and some pikemen at a minimum, and a few macemen for mopup duty, and be patient. It's easier to rebuild a farm than a city

Tanks are powerful but by the time they are present, the defender have artilleries and a railroad network firmly in place. Railroads makes all the difference.

If you, during the middle ages for instance, have 4 cities witch are threatened to be invaded by a large stack whitout you knowing witch one is going to be the target, then you have to split your catapults (and all of your defensive power) and distribute them equally in your threathened cities while during the modern era it is rather irrelevant were exactly the artilleries are stationed as they can travel quickly from one place to another. Artillery is no more effective VS tank than a catapult is VS a knight but the massive difference is that you won´t be able to slam all of your catapults against an invader while you easily can slam nearly ALL of your artilleries VS an attacking force during modern ages.
    Consequently, I have never fought a losing war vs A.I during late game while well beeing horribly beaten during late middle ages.

The other great gripe that adds to the late middle age problem is the Trebuchet. As you mentioned, one does not want to launch a counteroffensive in own territory becouse of a large invading stack can easily be defended because of great counters.

Theese same great counters does not work effectively while defending a city unfortunately because of their inability to deal with the Trebuchet.
    Just a few of them will utterly dimmish all of the defending units of any city. A severly damaged crossbowmen is no good VS a macemen and a halfdead pikemen wont be able to pick up a true fight vs a knight.
    So for the attacking army, after slamming the Trebuchets VS the city, should not have too much trouble invading.
    GOWIEHOWIE! Uh...does that
    even mean anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
      I'm confused. Has EVERYONE forgotten to mention using the F9 to compare your troop strength with other civs (particularly your neighbors)?

If you are comparatively weak, the AI will see opportunity.
      though my last game I was #1 in military and they still attacked me . I was attacked by the Vikings and both of his vassals. Difficult fighting a 3 front war.

I wonder if they add up the military strenght of his vassals when comparing to my military strenght.

But really I think they can see weak areas of my defense (and I don't think he had a religious shrine to see my cities). They knew I was weak in a certain area.

Comment

Mobile mixed defences along with plenty of cats etc and a few attacking units can defend your civ at any time, as long as you have a good road network. Plenty of pikemen to take on their pillaging horses/knights (these are often solitary, so a spearmen/pike will kill them, with roads you can often retreat the wounded spear out of danger, if not throw another pike/crossbow on top to defend it). Defend weakened units with relevant mixed defenders at all times to minimise losses. Cats should always be used aggressively, they are useless as defenders, so throw them against attacking stacks even if it is suicide, the weakened attacking stack of the AI will then lose more units when they attack your city, or they may retreat for healing which gives more time to prepare a defence.
        I usually maintain slavery for majority of the game, therefore it is possible to quickly build needed defenders in a hurry too.

Comment

Originally posted by trev
          Plenty of pikemen to take on their pillaging horses/knights (these are often solitary, so a spearmen/pike will kill them, with roads you can often retreat the wounded spear out of danger, if not throw another pike/crossbow on top to defend it).
          If you're using Blake's new AI improvements, this won't be very effective. The AI no longer isolates itself and allows it's units to be picked off one by one. It will keep them together in a stack and focus it's attack on your cities, not your land. The last game I played I hardly saw any pillaging at all.

It's probably a good idea to install Blake's new improvements if you haven't already done so, since they'll most likely be included with the next expansion.

Comment

Working...
          X