A great end game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great end game

My most recent game (with the 208 patch) has taken a dramatic turn towards interesting. Last night I finished a war with Qin and found myself near the end of the tech tree with a reasonable lead in everything on my opponents:

Alex w/ vassal Capac
    Qin

I am Russian with Gandhi as a vassal. Qin was the tech leader until I "liberated" Bejing last night, and now I'm solidly in the lead. Everyone is on fairly good terms and there's lots of trading going on. Qin was my best friend until a backstab to start the last war, so even we're on good terms.

This morning I decided to play for 20 minutes before I had to go to work. Boring... I started building the spaceship parts and all the other late game wonders, and I was finishing off the tech tree. I figure it'll be about 50 end-turn-clicks and then I'll be done.

The last turn before I HAVE to go leave for work I made the potential mistake of completing the UN and found that the 3 opponents together not only elected Alex to lead the UN, but potentially had the votes to elect him diplomatic winner. But before I had a chance to evaluate this, all three declared war on me at once. WOW! I have a quick look at their tech trading, and it seems that Alex and Qin traded about 4 techs back and forth and then gave a bunch to Capac. Suddenly there's tanks flowing into mine and Gandhi's borders.

The only military I've built since the war was a few Nukes. I've got about 10 stocked up. Most of my cities are just finishing spaceship parts except for a few core cities building the big parts. I've got 2 techs left until I can build all the parts, although I may need composites first to win this war.

Qin has focused on retaking a city he lost to me. Unfortunately for me, it was the only city I had on a river so I just spent 38000 gold to rush buy the Three Gorges Dam there. I really can't afford to lose that. About half of my infantry/cossak army is in that city, but there's a fighter/tank/sam inf battalion coming to smack it.

And then the time came, and I had to leave for work so I wouldn't miss my meeting. It's going to be a long day at work until I can return to finish this one off. Will I use Nukes to reduce their UN votes and destroy their armies? Will I tactically retreat, and lose the dam, until I can get a new army built? Will I try to defend Gandhi's land, or use him as a buffer?

I've never had an end game be actually interesting before. The new AI is great, and I hope this becomes a typical game

this used to happen to me at the end of the game, the part about the UN. but i noticed that an AI would get elected to be the head, and hten would win the votes for a diplomatic victory and... nothing would happen. before, id massacre as many people as i could to reduce the percentage of votes my opponents got, but the AI could consistently win enough votes for a diplomatic victory and the game would continue on as normal.

Comment

So, you are under two independent threats:

a) Enemy population: as they defeat you right now, reduce their pop

until they cannot pass the victory resolution, that is, necessary

missils;

b) Enemy troops: hold your ground if you can; remaining missiles

to weaken/delay the first invaders; that cossacks in the front can

they become gunships? if yes, well they like tanks;

and build some troops of yours (all you can, actualy)

if a counterattack looks impossible (why?) may be one more

missile to reduce their pop when needed.

Then, please, tell me about.

Best regards,

Comment

38000?

Comment

Let them eat the Vassal. Better them than you.
          "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

Originally posted by Senethro
            38000?
            Yeah, I was wondering about that as well.

Comment

3 Gorges Dam costs 1750 (normal speed), 3500 (epic), 5250 (marathon) hammers.
              Wonder rush price = 6g/h, or 9g/h if no hammers are already invested.
              If zeace was Stalin, he'd get +50% wonder production.

At marathon the rush price would be less than 31500 (or 47250 with no hammers invested). I would conclude that either the 38000 was not accurate or he is operating on custom speed factors.

Comment

Well, I did end up winning this game, but it was a struggle. I immediately lost both Beijing and the Three Gorges Dam city (which I though was for 38000, but might have been 28000 come to think of it).

I got lucky and Alex wasted a bunch of votes on Free religion and Free speech and stuff. Beijing switched hands 5 times. I retreated from the city except for one infantry. The Chinese took the city, and then I nuked it and retook it. Then I retreated again and repeated. It was remarkably effective.

Poor Gandhi lost half his empire to Alex and Capac before I had the Chinese wrapped up. He could have pulled out of the vassalage but didn't. I guess this is one of the new changes in 208 because in previously I've found that they would leave and then come running back the next turn. Anyway, after a few turns I got to helping Gandhi and managed to reclaim all his cities and push forward into Alex's homeland. I only had a one nuke left, but I had some tanks ready so I nuked the biggest city near the border and took it, and razed it. Every turn afterwards I took my ever expanding army to the next biggest city I could reach and razed it. Alex eventually voted for the diplo win, but just failed. I was obviously never going to have any friends again, so when I finally researched genetics I started the last piece of the spacecraft in my best city, and launched a few turns later.

Alex should have voted for the diplo victory as soon as he could, but he didn't so I managed to win. It was very close though. Certainly not the builders win I was expecting.

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Working...
                  X