Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you play the same civ, random civ, or just select different ones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If that's the criteria, I must confess I'm not.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Shoo
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
        6 tries is not relevant from a statistical point of view. But I get what you mean.
        I know, this was just what I remember when I one day started a new game, or rather 6 new games. I kept restarting because I didn't want the civs it picked (I wanted to play one of the civs I've never played as). After 6 pickes (with 3 times the english) I picked my own civ instead

But you're right that 6 is not enough to draw a conclusion on it's randomness, but based on the time it takes to start a new game, I don't see anybody starting a large scale testing to see how random it really is
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I take a break of 1-3 days between each game, but they're huge marathons (standard 10 opponents) and usually last around 1000 turns & 2-3 weeks. Going through the leader list, I think I've seen Stalin only once, but have seen a fair amount of everyone else.

A civver, unemployed; but I also read. Unmarried, without children.

BTW Solver (re custom game speeds): I modified my marathon game speed to unit training = 250, tech = 350. Seems good so far (couple games). Tried 300 & 400, but that was too over the top.

Comment

250 and 350? Well, well, I've got to admire such a speed. As much as I like longer games, I'm pretty sure I would find that unbearably long. 35 turns for an early Worker, and 15 turns for a fast tech, I don't know if I could handle that .
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
              I've played Civ4 for even longer, and I have never seen Napoleon. Never. As an AI civ, that is, drew him once for myself. Given the amount of games I have started, practically all of them with no less than 6 AIs, the lack of Napoleon in any of them is nearly unbelievable.

There are also surely other civs I see often or rarely. I often see Huayna Capac, Montezuma or Hannibal, rarely Peter, Mao or Roosvelt.
              interesting. I see Napoleon all the time. rarely Louis XIV.

I see Stalin nearly everytime since the expansion. Though last game I finally had Catherine. And of course, no Peter- ever.

Comment

I have never seen Peter and I am an every day player. I see Napoleon and Roosevelt more than any other AIs along with the Aztecs and Incas quite frequently. As noted elsewhere, I select my leader and play a different civ each time (large, low water, 10 AI random civs, marathon). It does seem to go in spurts (seeing Japan as a close neighborin 6 straight games, for instance), but a seed-based random number system will do that.
                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I always seem to get Monty and Isabella, and see Ragnar, Tokugawa, Roosevelt, Mansa Musa and Stalin a lot. I usually have 18 civs (huge map). I rarely see Wang Kon or Bismarck, and have not seen (with 18 civs?!) Peter or Napoleon, though I have randomly been Boney - no jokes, please I play quite a bit.

With all the different replies on the leaders we have or haven't seen, my guess is the random gen works well

Comment

Most of the leaders noted in this topic for not appearing very often all lead civs with multiple leaders. I'm inclined to believe that the game picks civs with equal probability and then picks the leader. With Warlords that would mean the chance of a particular chosen civ being Russia is 1 in 24. The odds of Peter being chosen are 1 in 72. This wouldn't eplain everyones observations - Virdrago rarely seeing Wang Kon for example - but it would explain why the likes of Napoleon or Stalin might seem to not come up very often while the likes of Montezuma, Isabella and Tokugawa are more often spotted.
                    LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                      I've played Civ4 for even longer, and I have never seen Napoleon. Never. As an AI civ, that is, drew him once for myself.
                      Oh, I’ve seen him. And how. Napoleon “ruined” two games in a row recently by taking a grudging dislike to my Civilization and attacking it three times in one game, twice another, without the means even to take a city. War for war's sake. He was enough of a serious nuisance however to let other Civs catch and pass me in score.

As a rule of thumb, I have a few leaders that I play far more often Inca, Julius Caesar, Churchill, Mao, and civs I have never played a full game with: Celts, Aztecs and Japan. But mostly, I pick civs and try to spread it out more or less evenly.
                      "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Hi,

I played England the first two games. Since then, I've decided that Random Civ with Random Map is the way to go. Makes things more interesting than just killing everyone with Redcoats. I'm only on my 5th game, and only at Warlord difficulty, but will move up soon.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                        X