Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you play the same civ, random civ, or just select different ones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, sorry, the poll.

Yeah, I currently try and stick to one civ. This is mostly for learning since I suck at the game as a whole.

I have seen a penchant for Rome in a few people and the Preatorians in particular so I may have to switch and see if I can do anything with those.

Tom P.

Comment

I tend to favour Rome, but do pick another civ every few games
      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I used to favour Elizabeth but now in Warlords I mostly play random. I also sometimes pick a civ based on some criteria like "Hey all these people love praetorians, I should try them" or "the Hwacha looks great" or "Who's spiritual and most likely to found early religions".
        I've been quite unlucky with the random roll, though, playing the Incas by choice, then randomly getting Roosevelt, then Huayna Capac, and then Washington for the U.S. again.
        Clash of Civilization team member
        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
          I play random civs most of the time, but lately I have started to pick my own "random civ" as it seems like the random civ picker has certain civs on it's favorite list
          Yes. I'm sure some Firaxis spokesman will tell us it is purely random, but actual reality seems to differ.
          Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

I don't know, I seem to get different leaders every time... In vanilla, I kept getting Qin, but I only have had him show up once on random so far in Warlords.

Comment

A good random numbers generator mut provide the same results sometimes. The random option would NOT be random if it just cycled through the list of leaders and shuffled the order. Though this could be an option too, it wouldn't be random.
              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                A good random numbers generator mut provide the same results sometimes
                Yeah, but after starting 6 games, where 3 of the times I end up starting as the english, that makes me question it's randomness
                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

6 tries is not relevant from a statistical point of view. But I get what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela

Yes. I'm sure some Firaxis spokesman will tell us it is purely random, but actual reality seems to differ.
                    Well, it's pseudorandom, what do you want ? A computer is actually unable to provide truly random numbers, so in reality those are pseudorandom. Which does not mean that the civ selector has any "preferred" civs.
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Solver, after playing Civ4 for months, there are some Civs I never see(or rather, leaders) and some civs/leaders I very seldom see. This pseudo-part seems to be influential.
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I've played Civ4 for even longer, and I have never seen Napoleon. Never. As an AI civ, that is, drew him once for myself. Given the amount of games I have started, practically all of them with no less than 6 AIs, the lack of Napoleon in any of them is nearly unbelievable.

There are also surely other civs I see often or rarely. I often see Huayna Capac, Montezuma or Hannibal, rarely Peter, Mao or Roosvelt.

Comment

I've seen Nappy a few times. Never Mao, never Elisabeth, Gandhi once or twice, seldom Peter and Isabella only after Warlords. And that's only the pre-XP leaders...
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

If there's two leaders you haven't seen, then you've not played enough Civ4 .

Isabella seldom, though? Lucky you. I get her now and then, and every time she's a major pain in the butt.

Comment

I haven't played Warlords enough to speak of the new leaders, but the old ones I have met or haven't met for soon a year now.

Comment

Well, you aren't a real civver, you don't play every day .

Comment

Working...
                                X