Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you play the same civ, random civ, or just select different ones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you play the same civ, random civ, or just select different ones?

Based on other comments in other thread.

It seems to me some of you might play the same civ every single time. Some of you play random civs. Some of you deliberately select civs for whatever reason. Why do you do what you do?

Playing the same civ is boring. But yet, I simply don't like some civs. So if I do random, and I get a civ I don't feel like playing, I restart.

And if you do choose a civ, do you do it for their traits, their uu, their ub? or a mix of the above reasons? Or do you do it because you just like that nationality?

I don't want to make the poll too complicated, so just select what you usually do. Although maybe I should have mentioned leader and not civ, as some of you might be partial to Elizabeth or Catherine for instance, not Victoria and Peter (I never see the AI play peter either, in fact I don't recall ever seeing Peter in a game)

I sometimes play random civs as I mentioned, but usually I just select my civ. I used to play the germans a lot, but I grew bored of them. So I try to select civs I haven't played before, but yet are intersting. The Incas just aren't interesting to me. Their uu comes too early.
    I play the same civ all the time or nearly every time
    15.22%
    I mostly play random civs
    32.61%
    I select my civ usually
    47.83%
    I'd only play with my banana civ if they had one
    4.35%

I love to choose the random options; this is the only way to force me trying new strategy!

But sometimes, especially when I raise the difficulty level... I will take the civilization in which, I find the easiest to play with.
    bleh

Comment

Rome.

Comment

Since Civ3, I have almost always played as Rome.

What civ has existed as long as Rome, and had such an enduring affect on so many aspects of future societies?

In my current game, I forgot to select Rome at the start. Random came up as Saladin and for maybe the third time ever, I continued instead of restarting. Spiritual civs have it way too easy without 2-5 turns of anarchy in a marathon game. Not to mention starting out on a religion's doorstep, techwise.

Comment

I voted banana. My option is not quite on there. I play Rome then play a couple "Move, You Whimps" then go back to Rome.
          USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
          The video may avatar is from

Comment

I always play as the Russians when a Civ series comes out. Catherine this time (on vanilla), for her traits. After, I choose a civ that I can use as the Canadians (but not the Americans, they should always be an opponent). I played as Cyrus first (the UU could be an early Mountie), then ended up using Louis for the traits I think are closest to what would be Canada's.

After that I picked a couple just to try (I always thought Incans and Songhai should be in, so I played Huayna and Mansa Musa).
            Korea - I play as Siam.

Now I'm going random, to play around with whoever and to learn about all the traits, UU, UBs, and how to use them best.

So I guess, all.

Comment

I usually select my leader from a small group - Peter, Catherine, Saladin, Hatshepsut, Kublai Khan, Ghengis Khan, Augustus Caesar - depending on how I want to play a game.

I play random often enough but I will usually restart if I get an industrious or financial leader (Mansa Musa excepted).

I'm thinking this poll could have done with another option: I play as Rome.
              LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

just played my second game as the Koreans. I like them. Although I didn't actually have the opportunity to use their uu.

Korea

Comment

I tend to have random, though, I'm not sure how random they are, tend to be rather often Mansa and Cyrus, and have never gotten Peter, nor Catherine. Stalin, few times.

I like to play Spirituals, or what was that, no Anarchy is very nice. You can switch religions and civics to keep relations, and quickly switch from peace to war footing, civics-wise.
                  I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Random, sometimes quit if the early game is really bad. I quite like playing some of the poorer leaders it's a challenge... and you learn a lot about thinking in different ways about the game.
                    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

I select my civs, usually based on their trait combination, not on their UUs.

Comment

Didn't vote, as I mix up random and selected leaders. Random leaders in OCC is not a good idea.

Comment

I like to play random leaders. If I get somone who I don't like playing as (eg Tokugawa) then I'll quit and restart.

Comment

I play several civs, but mostly the same ones. Where's my option?
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Random for me, unless there's a need to play as a specific leader. I love random because it forces to adapt as the game progresses. The factors of which leader I get, what's the surrounding terrain like, and who, if any, are my neighbours, determine the strategy. If I get Tokugawa and have Isabella, who has good land, near me, I'm sure not going to just build peacefully.
                              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
                              X