No announcement yet.

Most useless civ = Celts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried out the Celts last night. Good traits, good start techs for traits, meh UB and UU. All in all, a decent civ.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

true. the civ is decent. the thread should be called; most useless UU/UB. my bad.
      Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Sheet, all of the industrial units look american... Well, not the air units, they look british. Spitfire and Blenheim, IIRC. Would be fun to have cosmetically different inf units for those civs that had a WWII infantry, like germans, russians and romans. ( )

Personally, I think the yanks should have a Minuteman-UU, either the Musketman-variant or a souped up ICBM...

And, instead of whining about "useless" UU's and UB's you should devise strategies that fully exploit them. Learn and stuff.
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Fair enough. I agree on the UB/UU.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

bah. the UU\UB of the celts has its uses (read my above analysis) but they are so map specific that they are borderline useless if you dont get a whole bunch of hills nearby. what would be interesting would be if they could cross mountains as well, or would have woodsman 1 also. or if at least ALL units (not just those able to get it in the first place) would get the upgrade from the dun.

Comment

Celts' UU and UB are useful on a highlands map. That is probably not accidental. Many of us think Celts and we think Irish and Scots. Brennus' traits are useful enough. IF the UB gave the guerilla 1 to all units, or if the UU got guerilla 1 and 2 the civ would be able to compete. As is, the AI is completely flustered with this one. He only does well if he stands up alone on a decent size island (with iron) -- a lot of civs do well enough in that scenario.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I wouldn't say the Celtic race is bad; but I would say that their UU is the least useful. Mostly because their UB already gives all melee units the same free promotion as the UU.
                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

play a highlands map? is that the only time you should have use for a UU? when you play one very specific maptype?

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                    I wouldn't say the Celtic race is bad; but I would say that their UU is the least useful. Mostly because their UB already gives all melee units the same free promotion as the UU.
                    It doesn't tho, just the troops that would normally be able to get Guerilla.
                    - Dregor

Comment

basically all that the celts get from their UU\UB is the following:

Guerilla 1 (+20% Hill defence)for:
                      Swordsmen
                      Scouts
                      Explorers
                      Archers
                      Longbowmen
                      Crossbowmen
                      Musketmen.

That, is all. Useful only on a hilly map like highlands, unless you have very much luck with your regular map generator.

Comment

Originally posted by LzPrst
                        play a highlands map? is that the only time you should have use for a UU? when you play one very specific maptype?
                        I didn't say I thought this was fair. Just trying to find some silver lining for a seriously underpowered civ. Given the number of people in the Americas who have some Scots/Irish heritage, I suspect there is palpable disappointment that the Celts are a turtle (nee castle) civ. Not really a builder set of traits, but all bonuses are defensive.
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Brennus has very good starting techs and traits, you just don't depend on UU or UB when you play celt. It's not the strongest civ but Brennus is very playable.
                          Clash of Civilization team member
                          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

once again, this is true. the traits are good. decent combo, nice tech start.

it's just the UU\UB that is so horribly unfair compared to all other civs. so the thread should be called, "Most useless UU\UB = Celts?

Comment

Thanks LzPrst, that explains why both their UU and UB give the same advantage.

I do remember that in Civ III vanilla the civ with the most powerful traight combo got the weakest UU to compensate, so perhaps Firaxis is telling us that the Celts combo of traights here is truely awesome.
                              1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                              Templar Science Minister
                              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

doubtfully. see inca.

Comment

Working...
                                X