Favorite Unit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Unit Thread

I want to know what everyone's favorite units in Civ4 are and why. But this is going to be a bit different, I would like you to post 1 Unit which you believe is the most powerful unit for your play style, then I would like you to post 1 more unit which you believe is your favorite 'flavor' unit something that you just admire to look or feel of. I want you guys to put TWO units (unless both are the same) in the same post, I am really looking forward to your posts. Thanks
    Siga El Conejo Blanco
    Dios, patria y libertad - Ecuadorian motto
    | NationStates Roleplayer: The Honor Guard | Check out my Civ4 'friendly game' of MP: A Few Good Leaders |

1. Praet
    2. Praet

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Crap, the only times I haven't played ROME is when I was so anxious to start a new game that I forgot that I had to manually select it at startup. 'Random' is such a lousy default civ, only occasionally would I continue such a game.

Give me my legions, and some iron (somewhere) to build them with.

Comment

Our words are backed with PRAETORIANS - LordShiva Summer 2006

The strongest unit of the time that stays strong well into the next age.
        USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
        The video may avatar is from

Comment

Favorite unit... Aircraft Carriers. I find I get my money worth out of them with all I can use them and their planes for. Not to mention when I build one, it won't get sank too often unless I am not careful.

Flavor unit would be... Ironclads I guess. I think they just look cool. Never used to build them too much, but I tried them in a few games and they kicked butt! So now I build them more often. Perfect for pounding early AI wooden ships under.
          -PrinceBimz-

Comment

My favourite unit is the infantry, which rips through every single earlier kind of unit including gunpowder units. If I get to Assembly Line in good time I will quickly rush and overwhelm a nearby AI with infantry and cannons.

My favourite flavour unit is the ICBM, which looks and feels good, but is usually not as effective as its cost to build would imply.

Comment

Probably no surprises here -

PRAETORIANS!!!!
              I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

1. catapults will give me the needed room to pull out a spaceship win later
                2. infantry are flavor in that i build more than i need when playing for spaceship just because i enjoy looking at them

I enjoy conquest, but those games are slooooow on my machine

Comment

Wow, tough question. I would say my favorite unit is the redcoat. At 16 plus 25% against gunpowder makes it like INF. Plus, if the unit was upgraded earlier with CR promotions it gets to keep that. So, redcoat (I've heard in Warlords it was nerfted, but is this true????)

Flavor uit.....Pratorians, I've never been Rome and everyone seems to think they are pretty cool. I might try them out soon...although in most of my games I start resource poor and therefore I wouldn't ge tto build them....

sparky

Comment

Settlers.

Comment

infantry

building cities is over rated
                      Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by sparkyal
                        Flavor uit.....Pratorians, I've never been Rome and everyone seems to think they are pretty cool. I might try them out soon...although in most of my games I start resource poor and therefore I wouldn't ge tto build them....

sparky
                        It forces you to get around to discover iron working, and then STRIVING to establish a city in a location you would never have wanted if it weren't for the iron. (huge/marathon/fractal)
                        Last edited by Jaybe; August 13, 2006, 11:21.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkyal
                          I've never been Rome
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

My neither. Last game I started next to Julius and managed to grab the only iron resource. It was nice pillaging his lands with my Spearmen/chariot combos. I always play random leader, never got the romans, I look forward to my first preatorian game.

Favorite unit? Not sure, maybe the new enhanced chariot, mobile and being able to defeat all barbarians before they show up with swordsmen.

Favorite flavor unit? I played some games with the chinese and learned to love their Cho-ko-nu and the crossbowman in general whom I underused before.

Comment

Kublai + Keshiks for early game dominance. Use them to pillage enemy resources and it's smooth sailing until your enemies get longbows and culture.

For a less aggressive start, Skirmishers are definitely the way to go. Great all around unit and a nice step up from archers.

SEALS are great too, but I find I'm usually hunkered down dominating the space race when I play America.

Comment

Working...
                              X