ack, to raze or not to raze...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ack, to raze or not to raze...

Tenochitlan is a size seven city and the holy city of Hinduism. However, there are only a few Hindu cities so far, because Montezuma was marginalized... and more importantly, he built the city on top of a Wheat.

If you've not got a religion, or a Prophet will be difficult to make, then take the shrine and don't worry about the wheat.

Comment

There's no shrine, and I'm about to invade the Jewish capital next, so... burn

Comment

Still a Civ4 noob here since I waited for the Mac version:

I was under the impression that you still got the benefit of the tile underneath the city? That's what it says in the Civilopedia anyways. Am I wrong?

Z

Comment

You get the resource, providing you've acquired the tech you would need to build the improvement that would normally be needed to access it (Agriculture in this case, which allows building of farms). However, that's the only benefit you get. Normally, a grassland wheat square produces something like 4 or 5 food, and another if it's next to fresh water (at work, so I'm not sure of the number and I can't check). Under the city, it'll produce 2 food and 1 hammer. That's it.
          Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Ah HA! Well that changes my city placement strat quite a bit. Or, translated, I'm a dumbass. I really need to learn the resources and tile improvements a lot better - previous Civ versions didn't require such a honed knowledge.

Comment

I just looked... If you build on the wheat, you get 3 food. Wheat/grassland/farm on a river yields 6 food before biology.

Comment

Yes you still get the extra food from the tile... and just to say It's NOT a bad thing to have you're center square produce that 3 food.

Late game with electricity and Universla Sufferage, Resource squares start to become the LEAST productive squares. I have built watermills over elephants and other foodstuffs many times. I have even built my capital on top of food items as when cranking Great people a 3 food center pays off better than a 4 or 5 food tile ( due to unhappiness ).
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Very true in the late game, but you still need access to the resource SOMEPLACE to get the other benefit of it. Again, it's hard to check from work, but I'd guess that a grassland wheat square produces 3 food without the farm (2 base +1 for the unimproved wheat), so that's what you get by building the city on top of the wheat. You lose the benefit of the farm.
                  Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

I only found on a resource if there's only one Iron / Copper in my area and it's not on a hill. Easier than having to defend the tile.
                    ...and I begin to understand that there are no new paths to track, because, look, there are already footprints on the moon. -- Kerkorrel

Comment

Working...
                    X