What's the point of the leadership promotion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gibsie
    Thank you for the patronisingly brilliant explanation of simply mathematics, but there clearly is no such rounding...
    I think you meant "simple mathematics"

btw, How do you know that there is no rounding?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Until you hit the point where it's made up for.
      Because the cost of promotions increase with level, it takes a long time for this to pay off. In the time it takes for the unit to get back to the level it would have been, it will have been weaker and therefore less effective in combat.

The question is whether or not the improved combat after 6-8 promotions outweights the weaker combat between 2-5 promotions. My guess is that it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonWolf
        Maybe it's useful if you have a unit with lot of withdrawal promotions? That way your unit will probably survive even if it's loosing and you can afford to attacking even with 60-70% chance og winning only. I made a warloard submarine once. Unfortunately I don't the wihtdrawal chance could exceed 80%...
        I don't quite understand your last sentence. You mean a sub with Tactics and Flanking I doesn't get 90% but just 80% withdrawal-possibility? That would seem odd...
        A GG-cavalry with Flanking II and Tactics has a very nice 90% withdrawal-possibility, which allows you to throw it into rather risky battles. If it wins, and it also has Leadership, it can rise in XP quite quickly. The only drawback is that this GG-Cavalry often ends its turn with very low health (after a withdrawal), so then it takes quite a few turns for it to be usable again.

Comment

I won my first barbarian fight with a warrior against an axeman. my guy got 10xp for that. If he had tactics the +50% would give him 15 xp for one fight.
          Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

But only warlords get the promotion and you'll seldom risk such a valuable unit for uncertain battles. Only times I've done that is when I do a mistake.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

How risky is that first barb attack? my guy survived impossible odds, i thought that was just a rumour
              Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

I've won with barely 20 % odds, but I seldom risk my units at those numbers, so I don't know for sure how common that is.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

I'd say it would happen about 20% of the time.

Comment

Yeah, that was my guess too. But judging from the "fact" that the higher percentages never seem to be right(but I know they are said to be)...

Comment

I would sugest that "Leadership" is most useful when your spreading the 20 XP grant among several units and not when the unit is hording them.
                      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                      Templar Science Minister
                      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

What? How does it have an effect then?

Comment

Yeah, joncnuun, I thought it was the other way around...

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty
                            How risky is that first barb attack? my guy survived impossible odds, i thought that was just a rumour
                            You get free wins against barbs at every level below monarch. (settler 5, chieftain 4, warlord 3, noble 2, prince 1).

So this could be a good stategy at the lower levels. However, why would you need any stategy at all on settler.

Comment

Nacht, I have always assumed that those free wins vs. barbs were ROUNDS of combat, throughout the game. You are claiming that they are the first combats, taking down whole barb units?
                              (iFreeWinsVsBarbs in HandicapInfo.xml)

Comment

Originally posted by Anakha
                                Originally posted by MoonWolf
                                Unfortunately I don't the wihtdrawal chance could exceed 80%...
                                I don't quite understand your last sentence. You mean a sub with Tactics and Flanking I doesn't get 90% but just 80% withdrawal-possibility? That would seem odd...
                                A GG-cavalry with Flanking II and Tactics has a very nice 90% withdrawal-possibility, which allows you to throw it into rather risky battles. If it wins, and it also has Leadership, it can rise in XP quite quickly. The only drawback is that this GG-Cavalry often ends its turn with very low health (after a withdrawal), so then it takes quite a few turns for it to be usable again.
                                I forgot to add "think", so the sentence shoud be "Unfortunately I don't think the wihtdrawal chance could exceed 80%".

I might be wrong but I'm quite sure I couldn't add more promotions to my sub eventhough it should still have flank I & II available. Will look closer into that (think of a sub with 100% withdrawal chance )

Comment

Working...
                                X