Outposts (New unit?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outposts (New unit?)

There has been discussion about a couple of new units: the "Colonist" and the "Outpost".

The colonist is being delt with in another thread and, in order to not hijack that thread I have begun this one.

To start things off, the Outposter would:
    *) Be a one-shot unit. Using it to build an "Outpost" would consume the unit.
    *) Cost 80 h/f. Like settlers they would use hammers and food to build since they have a growth aspect.
    *) Can build roads and an "Outpost" building. Building an Outpost consumes the unit.

The Outpost building would:
    *) Establish a cultural border.
    *) Only be allowed to purchse buildings (no hammer production)
    *) Be regarded as homeland for purposes of getting attacked and declaring war.
    *) Start with "Walls".
    *) Cannot build units(?) / Can only purchase units(?)
    *) Can grow culturally.
    *) Costs 1gpt maintenance +distance modifiers(?) (should not be more than 50% of a city in the same place.)
    *) Borders established by an Outpost act like normal cultural borders. (workers can improve tiles, grab resources, etc.)
    *) Growth is accomplished by adding a second (and third?) Outposter. Otherwise they simply become a replacement for Settlers.

Your thoughts?

TomP .

That doesn't sound like anything I would want to use
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
      That doesn't sound like anything I would want to use
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

A decent idea, but...

I don't think an "outpost" locality should have any production capacity. A defense bonus á la cities and a 3x3 culture sphere. That's it. It SHOULD cost hammers and food in the producing city, so as to put a drag on growth. But it should be an exceptional unit used to aqcuire remote resources at a high cost.

It would be very suceptible to cultural assault, as an outpost should be. An upgrade to a city should be allowed. Maybe simply allow a settler to build on an outpost. But that should be a clear opportunity cost: if the goal was to create a culturally viable settlement there, then why build two growth-drag units to get there?

Perhaps outposts don't have a maintenance cost. Or a marginal one.
        "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
        "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
        "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

The borders should be a fat cross if is on a hill.
          USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
          The video may avatar is from

Comment

Nonono, don't go crazy with the size of the borders. Have them JUST on the 3 x 3 square, perhaps even a thin cross' worth!

Comment

Originally posted by CarnalCanaan
              A decent idea, but...

I don't think an "outpost" locality should have any production capacity. A defense bonus á la cities and a 3x3 culture sphere. That's it. It SHOULD cost hammers and food in the producing city, so as to put a drag on growth. But it should be an exceptional unit used to aqcuire remote resources at a high cost.

It would be very suceptible to cultural assault, as an outpost should be. An upgrade to a city should be allowed. Maybe simply allow a settler to build on an outpost. But that should be a clear opportunity cost: if the goal was to create a culturally viable settlement there, then why build two growth-drag units to get there?

Perhaps outposts don't have a maintenance cost. Or a marginal one.

Comment

Why not give just forts a little bit of culture while occupied?
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                  Why not give just forts a little bit of culture while occupied?
                  Coz you can only build forts inside your own cultural border.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Then change that too!

Comment

Cheeky bastard
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Interesting idea! I agree though with those who say the cultural border should only be 3x3, and that's fixed. I don't think the outpost should be able to build anything besides walls and castle (not automatic), and the castle should not produce any culture. Aslo, these buildings must be purchased.

To upgrade it to a city should be possible, with a settler. You might not want to build a city where you build an outpost as the maintenance cost might be too high and it could be too risky to have inhabitants there if it's close to enemy lands.

What I'm not sure about, is cultural flipping of an outpost. Maybe this should only be possible if your realationship with the neighbour is above annoyed, but you will anyway suffer a diplomatic penalty if the outpost is basically surrounded (not only at the border of an other empire).

All-in-all I like the idea

Comment

The outpost in PTW was really useful and well-done, in my eyes, but your elaboration is even better suited to Civ 4.

Comment

Excellent suggestion. Start the lobbying effort stat.

Comment

Working...
                            X