Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loud Distortion/White Noise Bug? FIX Here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or perhaps the bug is in more units than just that one (or with other sounds).
    "For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

Hmm, that's not the case for me, as mine is already at 45 and 70 for the low ... hrm. Interesting file to look at though, will look at it some more ...
      Are you sure you are looking at the corect file? Notice that there is ANOTHER file with exactly the same name in the vanilla game directory - make sure that you are looking at the file in the warlords directory.

The file you want to edit is at:
      Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Warlords\Assets\XML\Audio\

and the file I suspect you were looking at is at:
      Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML\Audio\
      Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

I had this annoying bug - I thought it was as a result of constructing bunkers, but then it occurred randomly during the game. I tried the hint but couldn't find the problem with the min volume higher than the max volume.

Then I found I was looking at vanilla instead of the warloads xml. I wish MightyTiny had posted a couple of days ago, could have saved a couple of hours of my life scrolling through the xml file...

Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

I am going to enjoy this fix!. I just returned to my computer after several days away (ugh), and what do I find? A solution, apparently! Thanks Tatilla: now I won't be tortured during the end-games, and can start enjoying Warlords again!!

BANANA TIME!!
          One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
          "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

Comment

Originally posted by Slippery Jim
            How could this thread not get stickied?
            It just had to be noticed.
            I finally experienced the noise this weekend and came here to look at this thread again and noticed the solution.

WELL DONE.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Good job, this needed to be stickied! Also good idea with the title change.
              Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

I figured it was appropriate.
                I can't wait to get home today and make the change.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The fix didn't seem to fix the problem for me, i noticed it again several times last night, primarily after some artillery units were involved in a battle.
                  http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Make sure you're in the Warlords folder. A number of people went to the same file in the Civ4 folder. I've played a few complete games now with the fix no problems (lots of SAMs and arty).
                    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

To reinforce Yin, quoting myself a few posts earlier, answering another case of the same:

"
                      The file you want to edit is at:
                      Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Warlords\Assets\XML\Audio\

and the file I suspect you were looking at is at:
                      Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML\Audio\
                      "

This is why I think it may have been better to start a new thread with ALL the info and instructions for the fix in the first post, and then sticky that thread. (All the info; meaning including stressing that there are two files with the same name, so you have to be careful you've got the right directory.)

Comment

If I go in to make this fix to the sound file, am I going to get a version mismatch message for multiplayer games? Everyone will think I am trying to cheat by modding other stuff if that is the case...
                        "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

We'll see Dave, I'm making the changes now.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I double-checked and it was definitely the Warlords file that I edited.

Comment

Hmm... Monkspider - I find it VERY odd if making the right change didn't fix the problem for you, since it does seem to work for everyone else. So if you edited the right file then I suspect that the problem is either that you accidentally closed the file without saving the changes, or that you edited the wrong variable. Or that you made a typo in editing the values, and ended up with different values that were just as wrong as the original ones.

So I recommend you double check for these errors.

I wonder if it would be OK to attach the edited version of the XML file in question to this thread, so that the process of fixing the error could be made easier and less prone to human error? Also, then people who weren't computer savy enough to know how to edit the XML files themselves could just download the file and save it to the warlords directory, replacing the old version.

Comment

Originally posted by MightyTiny
                                Hmm... Monkspider - I find it VERY odd if making the right change didn't fix the problem for you, since it does seem to work for everyone else. So if you edited the right file then I suspect that the problem is either that you accidentally closed the file without saving the changes, or that you edited the wrong variable. Or that you made a typo in editing the values, and ended up with different values that were just as wrong as the original ones.

So I recommend you double check for these errors.

I wonder if it would be OK to attach the edited version of the XML file in question to this thread, so that the process of fixing the error could be made easier and less prone to human error? Also, then people who weren't computer savy enough to know how to edit the XML files themselves could just download the file and save it to the warlords directory, replacing the old version.
                                Oh trust me, I checked and double-checked.

At first it seemed like this fixed the problem since I didn't notice the sound for a couple games, but in my last game, it was back.

Comment

Working...
                                X