Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LordShiva

"I make picnics in the sun"

Genghis Khan: I like this place. I make picnics in the sun.
    Chinese: Please do not walk on the grass.
    Genghis: Arrghh
    This post made me laugh out loud.
    The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
    - Frank Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by SebP

am i really the only person who absolutely hates the baba yetu? :
      Absoulutely. You stand alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Prussia
        Absoulutely. You stand alone.
        Not quite. I played it for a friend who speaks Swahili, and he hated it.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I was also quite underwhelmed by the new diplomacy music. It is not very bad, but it could have been better, imo - in the vanilla civs there are pieces that are so good I sometimes listen to them even when not playing the game - nothing like this in Warlords. Also it is disappointing they didn't make new songs for the new leaders of the old civs (I only "met" Ramesses so far and I assumed they simply switched his song from Hatshepsut and gave her a new one).
          The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
          - Frank Herbert

Comment

Not quite. I played it for a friend who speaks Swahili, and he hated it.
            Probably because he knows the language and/or he has heard it before.

Imagine someone singing Merry Had A Little Lamb to the tune of "Baba Yetu" in English. People here would probably hate it because the words are pathetic, and the tune doesn't work, but some kids in Serbia might love it.

Comment

I really enjoy the classical age music they use in Warlords. Particularly 'Unused Opening' from the vanilla soundtrack (available in the 'deluxe', bible-case version of Civ4), and Greco-Roman from Civ3.

Comment

I'm generally disappointed in the Warlords music. The use of Civ 3 music does not blend well with the other eras IMHO. The genius of vanilla's soundtrack is that is was so un-videogame. In fact, much of it is real music they borrowed for the game. "Baba Yetu," for its part, is the work of an accomplished film composer.

The new civ soundtracks seem much more in-your-face, especially compared to the haunting ancient-era rendition of Roosevelt's music. Even those songs lifted from earlier Civs (such as Montezuma's) weren't straight lifts, but re-visitings. It felt as if the designers were truly honoring the franchise, not just opening up an old, dusty harddrive from the basement.

I complement the use of vocals in Ragnar's, Shaka's and Brennus' music. It makes for a very immersive sound. That being said:

"BOO re-using other leaderheads' diplomacy music!
                Hoora-a-ay BEER!"
                "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
                "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
                "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

"I make picnics in the sun"

Genghis Khan: I like this place. I make picnics in the sun.
                  Chinese: Please do not walk on the grass.
                  Genghis: Arrghh

Comment

Originally posted by Martinus
                    Also it is disappointing they didn't make new songs for the new leaders of the old civs (I only "met" Ramesses so far and I assumed they simply switched his song from Hatshepsut and gave her a new one).
                    I second that. Is it really too much to ask for a distinct musical theme for each leader?

(The first time I encountered Augustus while listening to Caesar's tune I simply assumed a bug. Then I met Churchill and Stalin and knew better.)
                    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Originally posted by SebP
                      am i really the only person who absolutely hates the baba yetu? I turned the music of in civ4 just so i don't have to listen to THAT while deciding on the map and leader to play... and most often i'm to lazy to switch it on when in the game

i know i should have just replaced it, but too lazy

warlords menu music:
                      No you're not the only one - I can't stand it either. I replaced it with Civ3's opening track.

Comment

Working...
                      X