Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ is dead (or reminiscing on the past)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ is dead (or reminiscing on the past)

"Civ is dead" - Yin26, 9th of July, 2005.

Forgive me for posting this, but I have a very strong urge to . There was a very interesting thread in which the discussion ended exactly one year ago. The thread featured Yin in a somewhat surprise apperance on the forums, announcing his very pessimistic predicitons for Civ4.

I think that the thread itself was very interesting, and it's even moreso now in hindsight, given that we know how Civ4 (and Warlords just now) turned out, and given that Yin is playing and enjoying the game.

to Yin's contribution to the forum, gloomy as it might have sometimes been, and to Civ4.

Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Now Solver, didn't Yin already eat the box
    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

It isn't about the box, it's about the arguments that were brought up regarding no gameplay innovation, marketing vs. strategy, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25
        EXACTLY! Thank you.

Solver, you evil man. You already hoodwinked me into a sucker bet (playing it cool as a tester the whole time). Well, I paid my dues. The Firaxis team with Soren in charge proved me wrong. I'm glad for it, honestly. We hurt the ones we love, so the saying goes. We also shouldn't forget what I think was perhaps a deciding factor in how much better Civ 4 was than it could have been -- the "secret" beta testing group, of which Solver was a key member.

One interesting reminder was that I was looking at expanding the RPG elements even back then, and I hope we see this with a 'tailor your leader's traits as you play' ability in the XP. I also think Risk-like cards that you earn and can then spend on units, upgrades, traits, etc. would be pretty fun, too.

Anyway, are you having fun, Solver?
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Nahhh.... you're missing the point . This isn't about the box bet or that, I've already had plenty of fun watching that famous video, thank you very much .

This is really about the gameplay discussion. I think that, under the layer of teasing and box-eating, that thread contains some important subjects on gameplay or, should I better say, genre advancement.

Got it ?

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
            I also think Risk-like cards that you earn and can then spend on units, upgrades, traits, etc. would be pretty fun, too.
            Isn't that what great people do?

Ugh, from the past thread,

Experience, I guess. Civ has never been able to conquer the fact that most human players win by economies of scale. These other things, which might be interesting the first several turns when every little bit counts, will get washed away as always when city 100 happens to be a different religion. Who cares?
            brought CivIII screaming back to me.
            LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25
              You know...I never saw that video... anyone have a URL?
              Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Yeah, the gameplay discussions hit on some of the important topics, for sure. As for the Risk cards / great people, yes, same idea, but you can't buy units or boost your traits, for instance. There would also be a bit more randomness in what kinds of cards you get (for example, 3 military cards would be needed for a military boost of some kind, but it might take several earned cards before you get 3). So definitely I would not want these doing the same things as great people but doing similarly interesting things in a different way.

EDIT: By the way, I know many Civ players absolutely loath randomness, so I don't pretend that this idea would fit everybody.
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Can those of us that are not Python programmers actually mod the game in basic concepts? Not just different leader traits, or building costs/unit strengths, but relationships (e.g., different unit effectiveness based on national religion, whole new unit types associated with certain techs, new techs in the tree, and so forth)? This seemed an implied promise at the time of that other thread.
                  No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                  "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Unit properties, such as promotions, bonuses, relation to techs, resources and such are moddable without Python indeed .

Comment

Shogun: Here you go... http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=146254

Comment

yin -- thanks! That's a funny video. I was away from Poly for awhile and missed all the fun!
                        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by yin26

Firaxis on the other hand reminds me of a bunch of old ladies thinking that making 2's wild instead of 3's has somehow revolutionized their Sunday game of Go Fish.
                          Hehe.

Comment

I'm glad I read that thread plus part of the fund raising thread. I'm now downloading the video.

But it was very eye opening to be honest, especially when combined with the closing comments of Solver's Warlords review. I felt that, compared to Play the World, it offered significantly more, so I wondered about the lukewarm review. But the thread made me think that adding more isn't necessarily better (I know I've heard Firaxis say this before). You have to be forced to change your strategies to include the additions, not just have them added.

It isn't really going to change if I'm going to buy Warlords (my only hesitation is the reason why I don't own Civ4 yet, I'm too cheap to upgrade my computer to be able to play it). I play for singleplayer, but also as part of the Civ community. Expansions offer something that is accepted by the majority of the community, and allows new opportunities that I wouldn't want to be left behind on (pbem, succession games, and demogames, for example). Its something to think about in the future (and something that anyone making an expansion or sequel of a game should think about).

Thanks for posting a link to that thread, it was well worth the read. Now I just wish I could see Yin's review of Civ4 as well
                            Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

Just to add, I finished watching that video

OMFG, that's hillarious (don't worry, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with the guy laughing at you ). Seriously, that's pretty cool. Why didn't you bring anything to wash it down?
                              Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X