Undocumented Warlords Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by padillah
    THE STRATEGY LAYER IS SAVED AND LOADED!!!

Finally!

(doin' the happy dance.. doin' the happy dance...)

Tom P.
    What?????

This is great!!!!
    RIAA sucks
    The Optimistas
    I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

• A great change not in warlords manual but in the civilopedia: uranium resource is now enabled with Fission!

You can mine it as in vanilla civ once you discover Physics (obtaining the hammers and the commerce). BUT, it doesn't appear in the city strategic resources list until Fission.

So Age of sail is extended a bit, because you can't build destroyers until combustion (with oil) or Fission (with uranium). It makes much more sense than before: historically, combustion powered ships were used before nuclear powered ones.

Comment

• Stuie,
        Nope, highest settings on the globe, and identical to my Vanilla graphics settings. I don't know what the deal is.

Comment

• Indeed Pep. It's actually fairly annoying, in a recent game I had no uranium, but my vassal did, so I gave my vassal Physics, but couldn't actually get it off him until Fusion was up!

Comment

• FISSION, Gibsie, NOT Fusion!!
            I know it's just one letter off on the qwerty keyboard (AND one less 's'), but it makes a LOT of difference on the tech chart!

Comment

• God yes, that's such a horribly easy mistake to make! Although TECHNICALLY, in that game, I recall giving him Fission the same turn I discovered Fusion, so I'm not wrong. Yeah... that's the ticket.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mergle
                It seems that unit obsolesence is now more intelligent in the modern age. Although marines and SAM infantry upgrade to mech inf, you can still build them after researching mech inf (previously, you couldn't). This is great as mech inf isn't unconditionally better.
                Just found out:
                In Warlords, Marines & SAM Infantry do NOT upgrade to Mech Infantry any longer. After all, it was only in vanilla 1.61 that they could do so.

Comment

• A human player cannot become a vassal of an AI. This is not stated anywhere in the manual.

On the other hand, a human player can become a vassal of another human player.

Also, only the master needs to have Feudalism to acquire a vassal. A vassal doesn't need to have it. Otoh, if a potential vassal has Feudalism, but a potential master does not have it, the former cannot become a vassal of the latter.
                  The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                  - Frank Herbert

Comment

• Originally posted by Will9 Also, units that have a warlord attached to warlords are upgraded for free without losing xp.
                    That's documented. It's even in the manual!
                    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaybe

Just found out:
                      In Warlords, Marines & SAM Infantry do NOT upgrade to Mech Infantry any longer. After all, it was only in vanilla 1.61 that they could do so.
                      So what's with the documentation? This even went so far as to say that they DID upgrade.

Comment

• couerdelion, assuming what we both say is true (re upgrades and documentation), then it just means that either:
                        The change was made after the book went to press, or
                        It was unintended (i.e., a bug).

Comment

• Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe the bonus when attacking vs Barbarians used to be 50% -- now it is only 5%, though it may be graduated in some way.

Also, the "Raging Barbarians" seems to have been tweaked to really enrage the barbarians into a nigh-constant stream of invaders.
                          For some the fairest thing on this dark earth is Thermopylae, and Spartan phalaxes low'ring lances to die -- Sappho

Comment

• Originally posted by Yaga
                            Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe the bonus when attacking vs Barbarians used to be 50% -- now it is only 5%, though it may be graduated in some way.
                            Core game or scenario, & what bonus are you referring to? The only combat bonus vs. barbs I am aware of is for difficulty level, which ranges from 40% (at Settler) to 0% (Monarch).

Comment

• Originally posted by Fosse
                              Yes, that is wonderful!

The hidden negative? For some reason zooming out to the globe view fuzzes the map tile lines to the point where they are basically invisible for me.

So drawing lines along tile borders is much harder.

Still... i love that strategy layer!
                              Click on the musical note to show cultural influence. While overlaps may confuse things a bit, the cultural influence lines follow the tile lines.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaupanzer

Click on the musical note to show cultural influence. While overlaps may confuse things a bit, the cultural influence lines follow the tile lines.
                                TILE borders, not cultural borders.

I'm using it to plan my next city and see where resources are and what will be in the "fat cross" so I can place them in the best possible spot.

So I draw a circle and then outline where that city's fat cross is. Or draw the fat cross I want and see where the center is.

The graphics themselves are rather grid-like so it's not a full-stop, but it's anoying to perfectionists (like myself).

Tom P.

Comment

Working...
                                X