No announcement yet.

Undocumented Warlords Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems that unit obsolesence is now more intelligent in the modern age. Although marines and SAM infantry upgrade to mech inf, you can still build them after researching mech inf (previously, you couldn't). This is great as mech inf isn't unconditionally better.

Comment

nvm

Comment

Originally posted by Mergle
        It seems that unit obsolesence is now more intelligent in the modern age. Although marines and SAM infantry upgrade to mech inf, you can still build them after researching mech inf (previously, you couldn't). This is great as mech inf isn't unconditionally better.
        This applies earlier as well. Archers/Longbows, Praetorians/Mace, etc. When Rifles become available, then both archery & melee lines become obsolete, though.

Comment

There's a few neat little things improved too... like if you have a unit and a boat in a city and hit the load button, you don't then have to specify you want the unit to go in that one boat. Whoohoo!

Comment

Originally posted by samspock
            When you build Culture you now get 100% hammers to culture conversion. I did not check to see if the same is true for research or gold but I imagine it would be. Makes it easier to ge that first culture bump on fresh new cities post music!
            I generally don't build Culture, Research and Gold, but I decided to check on it, and you're right, the conversion is stated to be 100%. Or at least it was in the late near-Space Race Victory era.

Comment

When disembarking from transports Gunships can now no longer move their whole allowance. Previously, they could use their entire allowance meaning one could exploit the AI by moving ashore, pillaging, then moving back onto the boat.

Comment

Oh yes, I remember.
                Used this a couple of times to move the gunships from the transport to a save spot which gave a good defensive bonus (Hills, woods) next to a city and then attack it within the same turn, thereby not getting the penalty for amphibious attacks and makin g it harder for the enemy if he thought about counterattacking..
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Here is one for you, the Greek's city list in Warlords is vastly different over what it was in Vanilla.
                  http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Another little new feature: if you have a river running through flood plains to the sea, and it meets the sea at a point where three tiles meet the sea, then the one on the corner is now a flood plain, whereas before it would have been crappy dessert.

So whereas it used to be:
                    FIF
                    FIF
                    D

it's now:

FIF
                    FIF
                    F

(Where I represents the river)

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                      Circumnavigating the world seems to require a contiguous route now, not just overlapping of longitudinal exploration.
                      I've played three games now and gotten the circumnavigation bonus each time. The routes do not need to be contiguous. Each time I've sent a caravel from each side of my continent. One heads NW and the other SE. I get the bonus as soon as I've covered the correct distance without the routes "meeting."

Best,

H

Comment

Re: Undocumented Warlords Features

This is a change.
                        Before the most you could get was +5 if both of you share the same religion. (And sufficently present in both of your empire cities.) There was no additional bonus for you owning the holy city.

Originally posted by Simplicity

- Bonus for sharing religion when you have the holy city.
                        In the game I'm playing I founding Hinduism and I share it with one AI. That AI has a +7 "brothers and sisters of our faith" bonus with me. That's pretty darn high. Was the bonus always that high? With the addition of Uni@Sankore and the increase in the bonus from the Minaret, religion is going to be a much bigger factor in Warlords, I think. (Edit: Apparently old feature)
                        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                        Templar Science Minister
                        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Trebuchets is probably the most favorite of the new units (to the core game) in Warlords. I thought it was kind of silly to have the best seige weapon as Catapults when your producing Rifles & Calvary.

Originally posted by MasterDave

I really like the trebuchets! They provide a viable artillery option for that long period in the game when your 1000 year old anceint era catapults have to deal with feudal and then gunpowder units. By making them only effective vs. cities, and weaker than regular catapults everywhere else, I do not think that they are overpowered.
                          Templar Science Minister
                          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

One of the patches to the original civ4 added it.

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                            was regenerate map in the original civ4?
                            Templar Science Minister

Comment

The Culture thing would be a change. It was only 50% of the hammers like research and gold. And more over, all hammer bonsuses (such as Forges & civics) had no affect on cities producing culture/gold/research.

Actually, I find the AI to dumb about stacking too many units into a city that's at no risk whatsoever at the expense of the front lines. In a game that doesn't have a defender retreat but survive damaged option, this leads rapidlly to defeat in detail.

Special Buildings such as the Academy and Holy Shrines have always survived capture which is part of what makes capturing those cities worth while.

I would guess that settled Great People are now a part of the city and would survive it being captured, but the AI doesn't tend to settle Great People.

Originally posted by samspock
                              When you build Culture you now get 100% hammers to culture conversion. I did not check to see if the same is true for research or gold but I imagine it would be. Makes it easier to ge that first culture bump on fresh new cities post music!

One thing I did notice is that the AI is still kinda dumb when defending cities. They will still move out units from a city that is under threat from a large stack.

When you capture a city with a military academy in it you get to keep it (just like the science one.) Happened to me twice! I did not see any cities with settled warlords so I don't know if they stick or not.
                              Templar Science Minister

Comment

That was the case in the original. What's needed is that you know any tile in each of the X rows; regardless of weather it meets itself or not.

Originally posted by Hurin

I've played three games now and gotten the circumnavigation bonus each time. The routes do not need to be contiguous. Each time I've sent a caravel from each side of my continent. One heads NW and the other SE. I get the bonus as soon as I've covered the correct distance without the routes "meeting."

Best,

H
                                Templar Science Minister

Comment

Working...
                                X