No announcement yet.

Any changes to the core game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume air units still don't get promotions?
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Nope
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I wish they had added more cool concepts like vassals.

Not just the obvious "new civs" or "3 new units" or "3 new wonders."

The game needed some more "core improvements." Maybe an expanded, important UN ... or a new, revitalized modern age...or a navy that is important for some new reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
          I wish they had added more cool concepts like vassals.

Not just the obvious "new civs" or "3 new units" or "3 new wonders."

The game needed some more "core improvements." Maybe an expanded, important UN ... or a new, revitalized modern age...or a navy that is important for some new reason.
          I think the UN in Civ is actually for more "expanded and important" than the real-life one.

One change that I heartily agree with you on is the Navy. I think that if ships with cannon (Frigates on up) retailed the ability to destroy improvements that they had in Civ 3- with battleships getting a two tile range for this, then there would be far more incentive to build a navy to prevent enemies from damaging your infrastructure. As it stands, if you ignore your navy, all enemy navies can do is destroy your seafood resources and bombard your cities defenses, which is meaningless most of the time as serious invasions rarely follow those bombardments. If the enemy navy could also blow up roads, farms, mines, and plantations on or near the coast, then it would be far more important to counter them.
          "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

One change I would have liked to see is to Domination victory. I keep having them and feeling like the job is not done yet. I think it should be changed that you cannot win a domination while at war. That way you can finish off the opponent or make peace if you like and feel like you accomplished something. If it is the last enemy you could then opt to go for conquest.

Comment

Turn it off?

Comment

Originally posted by MasterDave

I think the UN in Civ is actually for more "expanded and important" than the real-life one.

One change that I heartily agree with you on is the Navy. I think that if ships with cannon (Frigates on up) retailed the ability to destroy improvements that they had in Civ 3- with battleships getting a two tile range for this, then there would be far more incentive to build a navy to prevent enemies from damaging your infrastructure. As it stands, if you ignore your navy, all enemy navies can do is destroy your seafood resources and bombard your cities defenses, which is meaningless most of the time as serious invasions rarely follow those bombardments. If the enemy navy could also blow up roads, farms, mines, and plantations on or near the coast, then it would be far more important to counter them.

I disagree - late-game navies are absolutely essential. If you're clever, you can keep battleships stationed outside overseas civs' borders and totally prevent them from ever being able to invade you.

The deadliest (and IMHO) most fun military tactic in the game is loading up transports with marines and artillery, accompanying them with battleships and destroyers, knocking out city defence and taking an enemy coastal city in one turn. The destroyers can shoot down attacking planes.

It would be somewhat similar with wooden ships, using frigates to bombard, if only there was more time to build such ships - which there really isn't.

Comment

Working...
                X