Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army size scale

Hello All,

I'm curious, Does anyone know basically what the unit size is in manpower or maybe a unit size from history?
    Flash
    Ἐí ἀñ÷ῇ ἦí ὁ ëüãïò, êáὶ ὁ ëüãïò ἦí ðñὸò ôὸí èåüí, êáὶ èåὸò ἦí ὁ ëüãïò.
    the Moderator of the World Creators

It's intentionally left abstract and undefined, but I remember hearing that in one of the earlier Civ games that each unit is approximately a division (10,000-20,000 troops). That doesn't translate well to earlier eras, though.

Comment

It's complicated. Units are worth various # of troops. The more advanced the unit, the more soldiers it's worth.

Also, some buildings and technologies add to your troop total.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

How many ICBMs in the ICBM unit?
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Apparently that's worth like 50k soldiers.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

There are 50k soldiers in an ICBM! Isn't that kind of crowded? I mean, it must have been bad in the Trojan Horse, but this is extreme! I have managed to internaly abstract and visualize troop numbers per unit, but this is going to mess all that up big time.

Oh, wait a second. I don't use nukes. I don't have to worry about this. What a relief!
            If you aren't confused,
            You don't understand.

Comment

How do you think it's propelled?
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Thanks guys,

So, The value of a unit does not translate into size. Then If I imagine my Praetorians are "500" man Cohorts that's fine and if I imagine them as full "5,000" man Marian Legions, that's fine. Oh, well.

I can have fun making a brigade equal to 5 regiments of riflemen. I can see Artillery grouped as a Battery.

I read in a Roman Warfare Book that a typical Roman Army in Caesar's time was 4 Legions of Infantry and 2 "768" man Ala plus various Auxilery Cohorts. That would be a huge Army to field if using "Cohort" size as base units. (40 Cohorts of Praetorians, 2 Corhorts Min of Cavalry, 1 or units of Artillery, and at least 2 Cohorts of Archers est. total) (I'm willing to try such a stack)

The next question is if there is a Cap on max units per civ or game? In Civ 3 unless they changed it was 4096 units per civ (18 Civs).
                  Flash

Comment

Originally posted by Flash
                    Thanks guys,

So, The value of a unit does not translate into size. Then If I imagine my Praetorians are "500" man Cohorts that's fine and if I imagine them as full "5,000" man Marian Legions, that's fine. Oh, well.

I can have fun making a brigade equal to 5 regiments of riflemen. I can see Artillery grouped as a Battery.

I read in a Roman Warfare Book that a typical Roman Army in Caesar's time was 4 Legions of Infantry and 2 "768" man Ala plus various Auxilery Cohorts. That would be a huge Army to field if using "Cohort" size as base units. (40 Cohorts of Praetorians, 2 Corhorts Min of Cavalry, 1 or units of Artillery, and at least 2 Cohorts of Archers est. total) (I'm willing to try such a stack)

The next question is if there is a Cap on max units per civ or game? In Civ 3 unless they changed it was 4096 units per civ (18 Civs).
                    Praetorians were not soldiers, they were the emporer's guards. I'm suprised the special unit was not legionaries.

That Roman Warfare Book is incorrect. The Auxillery wasn't organized until the rule of Augustus.
                    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                    The video may avatar is from

Comment

I have noticed that there has been a fair amount of argument about the Demographics screen, both with how they get the numbers and what they mean. So I decided to do a little digging through the code and do some experiments to see how it all worked to see if the Demographics can be of any use...

Soldiers- This has been the most intensive and by far the longest to research, as there are many factors that contribute to this number. Firstly it has no bearing on the total units you have in fact you could have zero units but show 100000+ soldiers in the demo screen, you will see how in a second.
                      Factor 1- Population points. For every two population points from all your cities you get 1000 soldiers. So;
                      1pop = 0 soldiers
                      2pop= 1000
                      3pop= 1000
                      4pop= 2000
                      5pop= 2000
                      6pop= 3000 and so on.

Factor 2- Technologies. Discovering some technologies (mostly military but not exclusively) gives you extra soldiers. I have to say some of them struck me as a little strange, like Military tradition gives you zero but hunting gives you 2000, but I’m not here to argue about that. Here is the list of techs that give you soldiers. If they are not listed then they give zero soldiers.

2000 soldiers – Sailing, Hunting, Mining, Animal Husbandry
                      4000 soldiers- Guilds, Wheel, Alphabet, Astronomy, Metal Casting, Compass, Construction, Steel, Radio, Satellites
                      6000 soldiers- Mathematics, Chemistry, Combustion, Archery
                      8000 soldiers- Fission, Flight, Bronze Working, Machinery, Assembly Line
                      10000 soldiers- Horseback Riding, Iron Working, Artillery, Industrialism, Rocketry
                      12000 soldiers- Gunpowder, Rifling

Factor 3- City Improvement/Wonders. Like discovering some technologies, build certain improvements and wonders will increase the amount of soldiers you have on the demo screen. In this case you amount added for each improvement. For example you get 2000 soldiers for each wall you build, so if you have 5 walls, you have an extra 10000 soldiers. With wonders that give you soldiers, you can only build one so you only get that bonus once. Here is the list of what you get for each improvement. Improvements that don’t give soldiers are not listed.

2000 soldiers- Walls, Castles, Dry dock, Forge, Factory
                      4000 soldiers- Barracks, Mt. Rushmore, Red Cross, Iron works
                      8000 soldiers- Heroic Epic, Chichen Itza, Scotland Yard, West Point

Factor 4- Units. Finally each unit type has a different amount of soldiers attached to it, so a warrior contributes 1000 soldiers, while a Swordsman is 3000 soldiers. Interestingly enough a units experience points has no bearing on the amount of soldiers it equates to. Units such as scouts, workers missionaries and spies contribute zero soldiers to the demo screen. Here is the full list of what you get for each unit;

1000 soldiers – Warrior, Quechua
                      2000 soldiers – Axeman, Spearman, Archer, Chariot, Galley
                      3000 soldiers – Swordsman, Phalanx, Skimisher, War Chariot, Immortal, Horse Archer, Catapult, Caravel
                      4000 soldiers – Jaguar, Praetorian, Maceman, Pikeman, Longbowman, Crossbowman, Keshik, War Elephant, Galleon
                      5000 soldiers – Samurai, Cho-Ko-Nu,
                      6000 soldiers – Musketman, Knight, Frigate, Ironclad, Transport,
                      8000 soldiers – Musketeer, Camel Archer, Conquistador, Cannon, Destroyer, Submarine
                      10000 soldiers – Rifleman, Grenadier, Machine Gun, Carrier
                      12000 soldiers – Redcoat, Cavalry, Battleship
                      15000 soldiers – Cossack, Fighter, Jet Fighter, Bomber
                      16000 soldiers – Infantry
                      18000 soldiers – Marine
                      20000 soldiers – SAM Infantry, Gunship, Artillery, Stealth Bomber
                      22000 soldiers – Navy SEAL
                      25000 soldiers – Tank
                      30000 soldiers – Panzer, Mechanized Infantry
                      40000 soldiers – Modern Armor, ICBM
                      There ya go.

-Arrian

Comment

Arrian,
                        So, Techically, Are these just soldiers or soldier points?

Sorry, answered my own question.
                        Flash

Comment

Working...
                        X