When Will My Game Crash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Will My Game Crash?

In the game I'm currently playing I decided to go for broke. I'm playing a single player, 18 civ, huge pangea, marathon game on 1280x1024 resolution and maxed video settings. My PC is a 2.9G dual core, 4G ram, 128M video. My question is when will I start seeing significant performance slowdowns and crashes? I'm up to 1425AD already and still going strong.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

I hope you don't see any problems at all. With a asskicker like that... What hope do I have?

Comment

no kidding

let us know if you have this happen
      anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I don't think you will have a problem!

My PC is tiny compared to that ( PC envy?), and I have had no CTD, or other issues since 1.61.
        I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

When my P4 2GHz, 512 MB, ATisomething computer can handle large maps as nothing, I can't see why you should have any problems mate.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I hope it crashes soon, to serve you right for bragging

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Yeah it sounds like it's just a brag thread...

Comment

Sorry, wasn't my intention. I was under the impression that all PCs will eventually crack under the strain. I was just wondering when it would happen to me (from other's experiences). Haven't continued the game yet today, will keep y'all posted.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

It could still crash... use the smart map and create a larger size map... one beyond HUGE. My brothers system is very advanced and can only handle 200 X 240. The smart map editor someone created allows maps to be made in size up to 5000 X 5000.... I'm sure any system today which is within a household would choke on 5000 X 5000... unless you used 98% ocean. ( or something close to 98%)

Comment

Once did a 2000x1000 earth map for Call to Power II. The scale there was nearly "life" sized. Wouldn't a square in 5000x5000 be about 8km wide?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                      Once did a 2000x1000 earth map for Call to Power II. The scale there was nearly "life" sized.
                      Let us know the biggest map your system is able to finish within CIV_4...

With the smart map... just because it lets you start the game doesn't mean your computer is strong enough to finish the game. The most common place for the computer to crash within these custom sized maps is when you discover Satellites which reveals the entire map. If you reach this point without crashing you'll probably be able to finish the game. I usually play with at least 8 computer opponents.

Comment

A better question would be - what is the limiting factor on a system like that?

Processor speed, RAM, or video?
                        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Of the three, I think my weakest link is video (Nvidia 6600/128). I don't know if one of those maxed out 512MB dual cards would make much of a difference.

Comment

I usaually play maps twice the size (or almost, actually did the math and it's like 1.97 times as big) with 18 civilizations, and it never crashes. However in the late game I do get some major slowdowns. (4400+, 7800GT, 2GB DDR400)

You should probabally upgrade your video card. You obdiviously don't have a shortage of money since you got 4GB of RAM. And that's like an overclocked FX60 (unless you have Intel, I don't know then) so might as well go ahead and upgrade.

Comment

Ironically, my Huge map, Marathon, continents game crashed about an hour after my post here.

1720 AD, if it matters.
                              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Working...
                              X