Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which of the Six New Warlords Civs Will You Play First?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm the only one who voted for Korea.

Wang Kon is for lovers.
    "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
    "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
    "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by Flamer(fin)

Carthage - Hannibal - Numidian Mercenary
      Celts - Brennus - Gallic Warrior
      Koreans - Wang Kon - Hwacha
      Ottomans - Mehmed II - Janissary
      Vikings - Ragnar - Berserker
      Zulus - Shaka - Impi Warrior
      aren't those just civ3's uu's?

Comment

Unless I am mistaken, Hwacha would be the first siege UU in Civ4.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

aren't those just civ3's uu's?
          The Turks have been completely changed. Everything else is the same.

Leads to speculation about what every unit will do, though.

Numidian Mercenary - Replace Spearman (unless they try and get creative and stick it somewhere else, like replacing Axemen). But, assuming its the same African Heavy infantry from Libya that it was in PTW, they'll be carrying giant Pikes, so there isn't any reason to assume otherwise. Not sure what they'd do so its different from a Greek Phalanx, though.

Gallic Warrior - On second thought, this could replace axemen. Or they might go for swordsmen.

Hwacha - unit that has a lot of interest for me, since its somewhat unique. Won't have the reasons to complain that Civ3 had (its still a direct attack unit). My guess is a cannon replacement.

Jannisary - They are at least new, but didn't they use gunpowder? I'm too tired to remember about them, but probably replace Musketmen (maybe have a higher attack).

Berzerker - Could replace anything from Axemen, swordsman, or Maceman. My guess is on the third one, probably hits with a lot of raw power (and maybe an amphibious attack).

Impi - Replace warrior, axemen, or spearman. Not sure what they would do for it.
          Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

Yaaargh, VIKING RAIDERS!!!

might be a little "extra joy" from the worldbuilder on my first Warlords game too!
            First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
            Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

Originally posted by Louis XXIV

Numidian Mercenary - Replace Spearman (unless they try and get creative and stick it somewhere else, like replacing Axemen). But, assuming its the same African Heavy infantry from Libya that it was in PTW, they'll be carrying giant Pikes, so there isn't any reason to assume otherwise. Not sure what they'd do so its different from a Greek Phalanx, though.
              A common missjudgement is that Numidian Mercenaries are infantry. The truth is that since the the entire Carthegenian army was made up of mercenaries, they were any troops from Numidia in the Carthegenian Army. Numidian Mercenaries are known best as Hanibal's Cavalry that switched sides at his last battle.
              USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
              The video may avatar is from

Comment

Am I the only one that hears "Everybody Wang Kon tonight"?

Tom P.

Comment

Oh, BTW I voted Celts 'cause I'm Scottish and... well, 'cause I'm Scottish.

Tom P.

Comment

Originally posted by Will9

A common missjudgement is that Numidian Mercenaries are infantry. The truth is that since the the entire Carthegenian army was made up of mercenaries, they were any troops from Numidia in the Carthegenian Army. Numidian Mercenaries are known best as Hanibal's Cavalry that switched sides at his last battle.
                    The units depicted in PTW were a specific unit. They look a lot like mercenary Pikemen from Libya. In fact, they were originally going to be called Libyan mercenaries, but that sounded like some kind of terrorist group (check the art files in PTW). Infantry from Numidia was mostly lightly armed skirmishers and do not represent Carthage very well.

If they are talking about the cavalry (which I hope they are) it will be a vast improvement from Civ3. Numidian Cavalry makes Carthage unique, imo (more so than Elephants). I realize that others used these horsemen (Scipio used them to defeat Hannibal), but they still are interesting and help set Carthage apart.

So, if its the same unit as PTW, I can live with it, even though it will be misnamed. If they try to accurately represent Numidian infantry, I'll be completely disapointed. If they decide to make Numidian Mercenaries horsemen, however, I will be thrilled. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

I don't know which one I'll play yet, but do we know yet if we can have all the civs in a game yet? That is, all 24 civs in a game instead of just 18???

Comment

Originally posted by Louis XXIV

Berzerker - Could replace anything from Axemen, swordsman, or Maceman. My guess is on the third one, probably hits with a lot of raw power (and maybe an amphibious attack).
                        What tech gives macemen? Machinary, isn't it?

Completely the wrong tech for Berzerkers (even more than it is for macemen). Wrong era as well.

An amphibious swordsman or axeman would probably be best. Perhaps with an additional special ability that e.g. allows them to pillage more. And an attack bonus vs cities containing monastories

Comment

Vikings!

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                            Yeah, I'm sure the decendants of the Black and White Sheep will take issue with that.
                            Hehe, I was sure I'd get some reactions for that post, guess not. Either people here knows histroy better than I thought or people just thought "huh, what weirdo is that?" when they saw my post and then "eh, let's walk away, sloooooowly, before he tips over".
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by iapetus556

What tech gives macemen? Machinary, isn't it?

Completely the wrong tech for Berzerkers (even more than it is for macemen). Wrong era as well.

An amphibious swordsman or axeman would probably be best. Perhaps with an additional special ability that e.g. allows them to pillage more. And an attack bonus vs cities containing monastories
                              From IGN:

The Viking Berserker replaces the Maceman, and it comes with some substantial improvements. Not only does the Berserker gain a 10% bonus to city attacks but he also gains the Amphibious promotion which allows him to attack directly from the sea and negates all penalties for attacking across rivers. In the early stages of the game that can make quite a difference.

I figured it would replace Macemen, you got the bonus attack vs. cities, though.

Comment

Gallic Warrior - On second thought, this could replace axemen. Or they might go for swordsmen.

Hwacha - unit that has a lot of interest for me, since its somewhat unique. Won't have the reasons to complain that Civ3 had (its still a direct attack unit). My guess is a cannon replacement.

Jannisary - They are at least new, but didn't they use gunpowder? I'm too tired to remember about them, but probably replace Musketmen (maybe have a higher attack).

Impi - Replace warrior, axemen, or spearman. Not sure what they would do for it.

Seriously, ignorance is bahd, mmkay?

Go here for the real info.

In relevance to the thread, I think that the first leader I'll try out is Shaka.

His personality traits and UU (much like Civ3) look amongst the hardest to win the game with and I look forwards to seeing if the Impi lives up to the reputation it had in Civ III as one of the best ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X