modern era leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modern era leaders

The modern times leaders in Civ IVs are all from the 30ties-50ties.. Gandhi, Roosevelt, Mao, with Warlords also Churchill, Stalin.

Do you think that any leader beyond that era would be qualified for being in CIV?

Perhabs Gorbachev? Reagan? Kennedy? Bush? Khrushchev?
    Hmm, I can only think of USA and USSR leaders atm.

Who do I miss who has made a big enough impact on history to be in this game, given the 24 Civs we have/will have soon?

u answered yourself, none of the recent leaders has enuf spine to get in the books of history. Mandela would be closest, while Castro's reign is also remarkable. Ofcourse saddam and milosevic have a big influence on the present shape of the world, but, like hitler and stalin, they won't be used cause of their negative connotation.
    But western leaders? Forgot it, they are to busy getting votes and never come too the big decisions, and besides, we haven't had a good war in the last few decides, and i hope that will remain so
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/scare2140.jpg

Comment

I agree with -SaFan-

No modern leaders really jump out as contenders.

I do not think Mandela is in the race either, more of a figurehead/image than a great leader.

And don't even start us on Bush..........
      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

The issue with modern leaders, IMO, is that they're too recent, hence, there's not much historical judgement of them. There's plenty of historical judgement on Roosevelt, Churchill or Gandhi, but not really on Bush.

I think, then again, that Gorbachev is the exception. It's been 16 years already, what he did is very well known, and with the judgement already in existence.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Thatcher could make it, I think. Maybe also Ben Gurion, de Gaulle, Khomeini.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Hmm, the problem with Gorbachev is probarly, that he, in a way, "weakened his nation".. by CIV standards.

Well, I guess you`re right when you say that modern leaders are too recent, at least regarding the era after the end of the cold war.. Mandela might be an exception, but there`s no South African civilization in CIV, resp. he doesn´t fit as a Zulu leader.

Cold war leaders, on the other hand, should be fine. Kennedy would work. The 60ties are already 40 years ago, so not that recent anymore.

How about Khomenei for Persia? hehe..

Comment

Gorbachev weakened his nation? Maybe. Westerners often regard him, though, as a man who ended the existence of a totalitarian country. And some of the leaders in Civ4 weakened their nation much more than Gorbachev. The best example is Mansa Musa - he gave away so much money that the Mali had a deep economic crisis because of him.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                Thatcher could make it, I think. Maybe also Ben Gurion, de Gaulle, Khomeini.
                Yeah, I also thought of De Gaulle.. another leaderhead for the official WW2 scenario that I`m hoping to happen at some point.

The problem with Thatcher is that there are already 3 british leaders, and with Ben Gurion, that there`s no Israeli/hebrew civ so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                  Gorbachev weakened his nation? Maybe. Westerners often regard him, though, as a man who ended the existence of a totalitarian country.
                  In game terms, he weakened Russia: he lost some cities! hehe. Of course, In reality, what he did was great.

Comment

In game terms, he created a different civ .

Comment

Pet peeve: Gandhi isn't even a real leader. He never led any country
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                        Pet peeve: Gandhi isn't even a real leader. He never led any country
                        I was thinking the same, but well, I mean.. yeah, he never was official head of state or something like that, but then again, wasn´t he pretty much the leader of the indian people anyways?

Comment

Who said a leader in Civ terms is a leader of a country, necessarily? Caesar was never an emperor, he was a military guy, and a dictator. I also find it interesting how Stalin is in Civ1/Civ4 as a Russian leader, never having been a leader of Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by Grenouille
                            wasn´t he pretty much the leader of the indian people anyways?
                            He was more like a mascot, and advisor to the real leaders.

Comment

Or Friedrich der Grosse of Prussia, who never was leader of Germany..

Comment

Working...
                              X