Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expansion for warmongers only?

From Gamespot's review.

"First up are the new warlords units. Warlords are an offshoot of the new great-general unit, which joins the existing great-people units, such as great artists and great prophets. Basically, if your units are successful in battle, you may generate a great-general unit. The great general can do things such as construct a military academy or turn into a great instructor, meaning that units built at a city where he's an instructor will get free experience. Or, if you attach the great general to a military unit, he becomes a warlord, which is incredibly powerful. Basically, the warlord will instantly give all the units in his stack two free promotion upgrades, and the warlord gains 50 percent more experience than normal. With a warlord, you'll be able to wage war against your enemies like never before."

I know there will be other new things but this seems rather decisive to me. Basically if you do not go for a warmonger and Great general strategy you will most likely be overrun by the AI if it chooses to go down that route. This would force you to militarize yourself. And thus the expansion would most likely only be fun for players who tend to make war, and thus can make active use of the new unit.

No?
    "Can we get a patch that puts Palin under Quayle?" - Theben

Obviously Generals are something that warmongers are likely to use more than builders, but that shouldn't mean that the game will become unbalanced in favour of warmongering .
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

All it's doing is somewhat correcting the existing bias against warmongers

You already have your Great Artists, Merchants, Scientists, Engineers... I want my Great General
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
        All it's doing is somewhat correcting the existing bias against warmongers

You already have your Great Artists, Merchants, Scientists, Engineers... I want my Great General
        "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
        Check out my Blog!

Comment

I do hope that they help out the lowly builder with a few defensive upgrades. I think the easiest would be to increase the value of walls. Right now they're a little underpowered, because if you can avoid war for a few dozen years, your cultural defense grows larger than the walls would have been.

Castles and Forts should be improved too. I've never built a castle, and seldom build forts. Maybe they need ZOC or something?

Hopefully something like this will give builders something to protect themselves from these more powerful warmongers.

Comment

CIV has always really meant to be a balanced game between warmongering and peace.

Assuming that AI's also vassalize it may not be such a strictly human benefit. It's probable more feasible that one AI could force another to surrender than to outright destroy, AI's are bad at taking cities but aren't bad at a good show of force.

Comment

Originally posted by peace
              I do hope that they help out the lowly builder with a few defensive upgrades....give builders something to protect themselves from these more powerful warmongers.
              1. Protective trait
              2. Great Wall
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

The Great wall will definately help, but I don't want the new builder strategy to require that I get the great wall or restart.

The protective trait is also goign to help, but again the builder strategy shouldn't be pick on of the 2-3 leaders with this trait.

Comment

There are also the new unique buildings for each civ. That is something that should appeal to builders.
                  "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

Vassel state is something that the pragmatic builders might appreciate as well.
                    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                    Templar Science Minister
                    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                      2. Great Wall
                      Isn't it only useful against Barbarians? If so it would be quite useless.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Isn't it only useful against Barbarians? If so it would be quite useless.
                        Wow, it'll help me very much if I can be protected against barbarians in the early game! Finally no problems anymore with pillaging barbarians wandering through my territory all the time.
                        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy

Wow, it'll help me very much if I can be protected against barbarians in the early game! Finally no problems anymore with pillaging barbarians wandering through my territory all the time.
                          And then you can pick 'em off when and where you want
                          I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Indeed, put some units outside the walls that need some xp and have some fun 8)
                            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                              Indeed, put some units outside the walls that need some xp and have some fun 8)
                              Yeah - Barbs aren't very smart, and may well just hit the wall, and follow it in one direction.

A suitably placed hill, with a fort (finally possibly a use for forts) and you end up with an almost certain 10 XP per unit army!

Nice
                              I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Working...
                              X