No announcement yet.

Weird power graph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Score includes military IIRC... you can mouseover your own score to see what it's composed of.

Adagio, actually, what graph is that? Overall score, or military, or what?
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Re: Weird power graph

Originally posted by Adagio
      Could someone please explain to me, what the Egypts did a few years ago... seems like they all of the sudden almost doubled their power in one turn:
      they insta built 14 fusion pbs?

Comment

Originally posted by TimeTraveler
        Were they at war with anyone? ...and if so, is it possible that they took a city that had two or more wonders?
        They have never been at war with anyone

Originally posted by Solver
        Adagio, actually, what graph is that? Overall score, or military, or what?
        As the thread title says, it's the power/military graph
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I would hazard a guess at mass upgrade. Did their economy seem to be doing well? If yes, they might have discovered one of the technologies that gives a new key unit type, like Rifling, and did a mass upgrade.

AIs do indeed do such mass-upgrades. If Egypt got such a tech and had the money, and considered the upgrade to be necessary, it'd happen. How was the geography? Did they have a fairly powerful neighbour close by? If so, a defensive mass-upgrade is the best bet for what happened.

Comment

But the AI never has enough money for something like that.
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

It doesn't cost the AI much to upgrade its units, and they tend to have quite a bit of units later in the game. The human player would never be rich enough but I've seen some AI's with money and at their cost I would think it possible.

After Egypt went up a few turns later the other AI's that were doing well (that is not dead) also had a shorter but straight increase. Perhaps Egypt also traded techs with other AI's and did a mass unit upgrade at the same time? Perhaps they also got money from the other AI's for whatever golden tech they happened to have. That would help explain how they could afford to upgrade all their units and why the other AI's took some time to have a smaller straight up increase too.

I would also speculate that perhaps they were missing out on some tech that would have given them better units all ready and that their score graph would have been higher with it. Maybe they had avoided an upgrade because of a missing tech. Perhaps they didn't have riflemen just musketeers and hit soldiers as an example? They would have more money for having avoided a middle upgrade to use on a more advanced one later?

If you still have the saved game you should post it so we can look at everything. Maybe using the world editor to poke around would reveal some clues. Its all speculation without it.
              Last edited by Silver14; May 7, 2006, 16:06.

Comment

I don't have the save anymore, but if the AI's get a good discount at upgrading, then I guess that's the reason
                It doesn't look like Egypt is that rich though, as they only had very few cities, and they are the leading civ tech-wise (so they had spent a lot of money of research)... and I don't allow tech-trading, so no income from there

How much of an discount do they get?

Comment

I'm not sure of the exact figures, I think it differs on difficulty level. I've seen in threads here and elsewhere that the AI does get an upgrade discount, perhaps someone can clear it up on the amount.

There is a post here:

That is mainly about unit maintenance but also mentions the AI pays less for upgrades. It was a quick google. I don't play at Civ Fanantics.

Comment

If memory doesn't fail me the discount is around 75%, so they pay 1/4 what the human does.

Comment

On Prince, yeah, the AI pays 25% for upgrade costs. So the AIs with a good econ and some money can certainly do a mass-upgrade.

Comment

The following shows MOST of the specs for the different skill levels (MS Word doc in table format), v.152. I don't recall for sure that I have checked it for 1.61, but I believe so.

EDIT: 6K Year Old Man, you're welcome (as is everyone else who appreciates it).
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Jaybe; May 7, 2006, 23:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                          If memory doesn't fail me the discount is around 75%, so they pay 1/4 what the human does.
                          Wow, that explains how they can afford such an mass upgrade... I'm playing on Prince btw

Comment

Adagio, what kind of military units were around during this jump? Since you had tech trading turned off I think that Egypt probably did skip a unit in the middle of some kind and went from having a bunch of outdated weaker units to top notch units in one burst. I just don't see the jump being that big if they just upgraded one step in unit strength - unless it was Mech Infantry perhaps.

they only had very few cities, and they are the leading civ tech-wise

Did they have some religions founded too? Being small with holy shrines it wouldn't surprise me if the AI could run at 100% science and still make money. I've pulled that off before I see no reason why the AI couldn't either.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                              The following shows MOST of the specs for the different skill levels (MS Word doc in table format), v.152. I don't recall for sure that I have checked it for 1.61, but I believe so.
                              That's a really helpful table to have. Thanks!
                              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Silver14
                                Adagio, what kind of military units were around during this jump?
                                It was around the time where they got riflemen

Originally posted by Silver14
                                Did they have some religions founded too?
                                Now that you mention it, they have the holy city to hinduism, the largest religion there is... that explains how they got the money

Comment

Working...
                                X