How Many Expansions Will We See?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Expansions Will We See?

I briefly mentioned this on Alexander's post Warlords-XP thread, but I am curious to hear the sentiments of the forum. Basically, how many expansion packs do you think we will see before the end of Civ IV's lifespan?

I think that a second XP is a given. However, I wouldn't rule out a third expansion for Civ IV given it's tremendous success. The PC gaming industry has moved towards a business model of having more expansions since the days of Civ III and Civ IV has far exceeded Civ III in terms of sales. Also, Warlords seems to have come out more quickly than PTW did, which is another factor that may lead to us receiving a third XP.
    Zero! Warlords will be cancelled at the last minute due to an unforeseen twist of fate.
    0.00%
    One! Warlords will be the only XP.
    4.92%
    Two! Warlords and one more
    52.46%
    Three! Warlords and two more!
    26.23%
    More than Three! The sky's the limit!
    8.20%
    Banana-Bread Civ XP: Rule Your Loaf
    8.20%
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I'm going to say 3 total; that'll just be about how much they can milk this cow....a nice cow it is though.

Comment

I doubt we'll get more expansions than The Sims
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

At least another expansion after Warlords. There's no way Firaxis would have omitted the Babylonians in Warlords if not to save them for expansion no. 2.
          "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

There has to be another expansion. Whether they'll go beyond two exps. is anybody's guess. The precedent left by Civ3 was two expansions.

I guess whether they'll go beyond a second expansion depends on whether or not they have anything more to contribute to the game, or whether it'd be easier just to make a sequel. I think that's what happened after Civ3 Conquests.
            The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
            "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
            "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
            The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

I don´t think we´ll see more than two expansions. If they come up with some new revolutionary gameplay features or a smarter AI they´ll probably save that for Civ V...

OTOH the smarter AI and the revolutionary new gameplay is probably pretty far behind and quite stale in 2010...
              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Zoid
                I don´t think we´ll see more than two expansions. If they come up with some new revolutionary gameplay features or a smarter AI they´ll probably save that for Civ V...

OTOH the smarter AI and the revolutionary new gameplay is probably pretty far behind and quite stale in 2010...
                Well a second expansion almost always sells less copies than the actual game or the first expansion because so many people move on to newer games.
                "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Well Civ II had two expansions, plus millions of mods.
                  Civ III had two expansions and a few more mods.
                  Civ IV may follow suit.
                  Hehe....burr.

Looshkin's Lair

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01

Well a second expansion almost always sells less copies than the actual game or the first expansion because so many people move on to newer games.
                    If an expansion requires an installation of the game, then there's no way it can sell more copies than the actual game
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

If an expansion requires an installation of the game, then there's no way it can sell more copies than the actual game
                      Exactly my point. At some point they'll stop making expansions because it is always more lucrative to make new games, especially sequels in popular franchises.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01

Exactly my point. At some point they'll stop making expansions because it is always more lucrative to make new games, especially sequels in popular franchises.
                        Well, I hope it's three xps because I'd rather upgrade later rather than sooner. I just got this machine in time for Civ (it must've been fate).

Comment

I think they will be flogging a dead horse after two.

I guess it all depends on the value of the content and the value on the price tag, as to how many or how successful they are.

But methinks two.........
                          I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

If in each expansion, they do two things:

1. Add new content to the main game - new features, AI improvements, units/Buildings etc.

2. Provide say six+ scenarios in a particular time frame.

They could produce at least 6 expansion packs. But unlikely.

medieval era.
                            Age of discovery
                            Napoleonic age.
                            WW1.
                            WW2.
                            Modern Conflicts.

Just like all the Sims expansions.

In the meantime they could be developing Civ5, ready for the next generation of computers.
                            "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

Six is really pushing it. I'm really hoping for a one or two more scenario/mod packs, if nothing else. Preferably ancient world, medieval world, and the imperial age.

It's unlikely that the expansions will be "era-themed." They generally aren't.

Comment

Working...
                              X