Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Builders, could you resist going to war...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Builders, could you resist going to war...

If you find that your neighbours the Incas, who happen to be the least advanced militarily in the game, found Judaism and Christianity in two prime cities right on your borders and defend them only with an archer and a Quechua each? (you've got catapults...)

Best thing was, because I'd spread hinduism to them early on they had the same religion as me, liked my civics and were still pleased when I made peace after I'd stolen the cities off them.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Of course not. I'm a builder, which means that I also build up the cities of my neighbours if they can't handle it .
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The little voice in my head saying "Kill your neighbours and take their stuff!" can only be ignored for so long. I go to war for territory every game. Unless I've somehow surrounded myself with vassal-like religious lackeys, I do try to avoid killing my brothers and sisters of the faith (unless they happen to be keeping the holy city warm for me).

Comment

In strength, wisdom.

Comment

Of course not. Building is a choice, not a dogm. If someone has something I want I take it if I can.
          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Nope. Not a chance. While not a predacious warmonger, I am an opportunistic scavenger. I'd say those virtually unprotected Holy Cities would qualify as gifts from your friendly neighbor.

Comment

You murderous bastard!

go get them
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

That never happens to me.
                That the holy cities are hardly protected right next to my border.
                Besides that, I'm not really a good warmonger

yesterday I decided that I should go for the english, after building for 4500 years. I raised an army quite impressive, though after I captured 2 english border cities, they came back to me

Perhaps emperor is too much for me
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

It never happens to me either. But they were expanding my way just as they were researching the religion techs and the religion you found is founded in your most recent city. I hadn't really thought about it before but I guess expanding in dangerous directions when researching religious techs is stupid.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                    after I captured 2 english border cities, they came back to me
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

The english came back to me and took one of my cities........ and are about to take more of them........
                      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                        It never happens to me either. But they were expanding my way just as they were researching the religion techs and the religion you found is founded in your most recent city. I hadn't really thought about it before but I guess expanding in dangerous directions when researching religious techs is stupid.
                        My italics and bold.
                        I wasn't aware of this, but in retrospect it seems to be true.
                        Is this intentional and if so, why? Is it to reflect that new ideas tend to arise in new places?
                        Is this documented anywhere? If not, why not? I read the manual and don't recall seeing it, but I may have missed it.
                        The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

I am pretty sure it's documented somewhere, because I definitely read it rather than worked it out for myself. I don't have the manual handy to see if it's in there... but as there's hardly any useful info in the manual it's most likely I read it on a forum somewhere.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

I guess I'm a builder-kind of player. I almost never go to war, just for territory. I'd go to war for resources (oil, uranium, aluminium - once I had to go to war to get some iron), and if Montezuma or any of the crazy ones are nearby, I'll do a pre-emptive strike against them as soon as possible. The third main reason for going to war is to get a unit with 17 XP so that I can build West Point (preferably in the same city that built Heroic Epic).

Well, except sometime in the later game. I've built a grand nine-ten city empire, and along the way I had to build a fairly large and powerful army (just so that no-one will get any funny ideas, you understand). At that stage, I can hear the voice of the Military Advisor from Civ2 in my head, over and over again:

"You're letting our crack troops go to waste, General. Let's go bonk some heads, sir!"

Eventually, I'll give in to the voice in my head and go find the next-most powerful Civ (or the most powerful, if it's not me) in my vicinity and attack them. Very occasionally, I'll find some leftovers from a Civ I've already beaten, and take their two-three remaining cities, even if that means that I'll have to cross the globe to get their last city.

So, in response to the original question: I think I could resist attacking the Incas. I've never had any problems with them suddenly attacking me in any game, and they don't seem to be much of a threat. Maybe if one day, I'd find that they had oil (or any other important resource) and I didn't have any of it, I'd go kick'em and grab their land. But otherwise, I don't think I could be bothered.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                              The english came back to me and took one of my cities........ and are about to take more of them........
                              Oh I see. I thought you meant the cities came back to you.
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X