Crazy Luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Luck

I just started a new game, Epic speed (Marathon is too long for me), and I had the insane luck of getting to the Classical age at 3430 BC. I got both bronze working and iron working from huts, and then I found an iron resource near Bejing. I could be spinning out swordsmen in 2000 BC.

Anyone else have something like that?

no such luck here

What was the difficulty level?
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

I had a luck like that on Prince once, got 3-4 techs out of huts. This was my first game on Marathon, so I made a big mistake: I underestimated the babarians
      None of the techs lead to archers, and I didn't find any Copper or Iron on the island
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I don't know if you'd call it good luck but i got thee settlers outof huts once.

I didn't have to build settlers for years but my economy sucked!

Course, I have a hard time establishing an economy on anything but normal anyway.

Tom P.

Comment

Sometimes when I get really good luck with the huts I somewhat resent it, I feel like if I win that game it doesn't mean as much.

Comment

Originally posted by padillah
            I don't know if you'd call it good luck but i got thee settlers outof huts once.

Course, I have a hard time establishing an economy on anything but normal anyway.

Tom P.
            How did you get settlers from huts on a difficulty above Warlord? Unless they changed something in the last patch, you can't get workers or settlers from huts on Noble and above.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamer(fin)
              no such luck here

What was the difficulty level?
              That game was prince...

But I quit that game, as always, terrible starting position (I was on an island, not even a big island)

Comment

Re: Crazy Luck

Originally posted by Qwertqwert
                I just started a new game, Epic speed (Marathon is too long for me), and I had the insane luck of getting to the Classical age at 3430 BC. I got both bronze working and iron working from huts, and then I found an iron resource near Bejing. I could be spinning out swordsmen in 2000 BC.

Anyone else have something like that?
                In one game, on Emperor no less, I got farming, then animal husbandry, then horseback riding from three huts in a row. It was pretty amazing...

Comment

That game was prince...

But I quit that game, as always, terrible starting position (I was on an island, not even a big island)
                  ...why?

No matter how bad your starting position is, that kind of early-game tech lead you should more then make up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by padillah

Tom P.
                    Yeah, it's hard to establish an ecenomy if you expand too fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Yosho

...why?

No matter how bad your starting position is, that kind of early-game tech lead you should more then make up for it.
                      My playing strategy absolutly requires contact with several other civilizations (I usaually play games with 16-18) and I can't contact them if I am on an island until I get astronomy.

Comment

Yeah, it's hard to establish an ecenomy if you expand too fast.
                        I find it hard to establish an economy at anything more than Norma speed. I have a build strategy and it gets thrown into a hizzy when the speed changes.

I've gotta find a better build strat for the other speeds.

Tom P.

Comment

My playing strategy absolutly requires contact with several other civilizations (I usaually play games with 16-18) and I can't contact them if I am on an island until I get astronomy.

Well, it can be done. Last time I was on an island by myself, knowing that I could expand at whatever speed I wanted and that I wasn't going to be attacked except by barbs, I basically just focused on developing my economy and grabbing as many early-game wonders as I could, and by the time I got astronomy I was at about the same level as the AI's; I had some holes, but so did they, and I did fine.

Comment

I usaually hope to exceed the AI by Astronomy. Atleast technologolically. My strategy is to get technologies as fast as I can (and if possible prevent other countries from getting them) and avoid war. Then I get the Space Race victory.

Comment

Yeah, I have that kind of luck ALL the time, but usually in reverse. For instance, if I win a battle with a probability of 95%, I consider it a miracle. The AI on the other hand routinely wins with 30% probability or less.

Crazy luck alright.
                              Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Working...
                              X